Re: [Flewelling] ***Speaking of movies......

  • hbrown9628@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2000
      In a message dated 30/04/00 16:21:48 GMT Daylight Time, GryphonIM@...
      writes:

      > Has anyone else heard about the Lord of the Rings
      > movies they are making? I don't know if anybody else
      > here likes the Rings trilogy, but I was practically
      > raised on it-
      >
      > (my parents read the Hobbit to my brother and me
      > instead of Dr. Seuss books when we were just littly
      > tykes- and when I was in first grade, they read the
      > trilogy to us. So, essentially, I've been a fan of JRR
      > Tolkien since before I sould spell the word "the")
      >
      > Ayhoo, If you want to learn more about the movies
      > (they are making one for each of the books of the
      > trilogy), then go to www.lordoftherings.net and you
      > can see a lengthy and exciting preview and learn a bit
      > about what they are doing. It's live-action, and its
      > being filmed down in New Zealand. I hope I don't jinx
      > it by saying this, but it looks to me as if they are
      > actually going to follow the books as closely as
      > possible, and the movies just might be . . . good. The
      > first movie is coming out in December 2001, though. It
      > will be a long wait.
      >
      > CYA around, people!

      List mom's favourite book from all time, even if it was rather reluctantly
      read in the first place. I avoided it like the plague, wary of all the cult
      stuff surrounding it, and only gave in and read it after seeing the Ralph
      Bakshi animated film, it being the only way of finding out how it all ended
      <g>.

      Now I collect editions of the various books, and have even, gasp, bought
      Christopher Tolkein's numorous books of his father's notes.

      Oh yes and I live about 15 miles from where Tolkein spent his childhood,
      which explains why when I first read the book the Shire felt *so* familiar,
      he'd based it on the countryside around where he'd lived as a boy. When I
      read the first bit of the book, I could just see the lanes and fields around
      where I live so clearly.

      I'm trying to get some gossip on the films, an old boyfriend of mine is
      currently living in New Zealand and I'm nagging him to find things out.

      Helen
    • Jeff Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2000
        I can remember reading them with a certain author's husband many years
        ago.....still my favorites of all-time, and periodically get re-read. I
        read The Hobbit to my sons a couple of years ago, and am debating a re-read
        of that or progressing to the Lord of the Rings.

        My contribution to the list of web sites with more info about the movie and
        other stuff .... the first two seem to keep up the best.

        The Lord of the Rings http://www.lordoftherings.net/
        The One Ring http://www.theonering.com/
        FANDOM - Ringbearer http://fandom.com/ringbearer/
        Ringbearer.org http://ringbearer.net/
        The Grey Havens http://www.tolkien.cro.net/

        > Has anyone else heard about the Lord of the Rings
        > movies they are making? I don't know if anybody else
        > here likes the Rings trilogy, but I was practically
        > raised on it-
        >
        > (my parents read the Hobbit to my brother and me
        > instead of Dr. Seuss books when we were just littly
        > tykes- and when I was in first grade, they read the
        > trilogy to us. So, essentially, I've been a fan of JRR
        > Tolkien since before I sould spell the word "the")
        >
        > Ayhoo, If you want to learn more about the movies
        > (they are making one for each of the books of the
        > trilogy), then go to www.lordoftherings.net and you
        > can see a lengthy and exciting preview and learn a bit
        > about what they are doing. It's live-action, and its
        > being filmed down in New Zealand. I hope I don't jinx
        > it by saying this, but it looks to me as if they are
        > actually going to follow the books as closely as
        > possible, and the movies just might be . . . good. The
        > first movie is coming out in December 2001, though. It
        > will be a long wait.
        >
        > CYA around, people!

        List mom's favourite book from all time, even if it was rather reluctantly
        read in the first place. I avoided it like the plague, wary of all the cult

        stuff surrounding it, and only gave in and read it after seeing the Ralph
        Bakshi animated film, it being the only way of finding out how it all ended
        <g>.

        Now I collect editions of the various books, and have even, gasp, bought
        Christopher Tolkein's numorous books of his father's notes.

        Oh yes and I live about 15 miles from where Tolkein spent his childhood,
        which explains why when I first read the book the Shire felt *so* familiar,
        he'd based it on the countryside around where he'd lived as a boy. When I
        read the first bit of the book, I could just see the lanes and fields around

        where I live so clearly.

        I'm trying to get some gossip on the films, an old boyfriend of mine is
        currently living in New Zealand and I'm nagging him to find things out.

        Get paid for the stuff you know!
        Get answers for the stuff you don't. And get $10 to spend on the site!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2200/2/_/640603/_/957182896/

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/Flewelling

      • Leafmirror@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2000
          In a message dated 5/1/00 11:44:21 AM, jjohnson@... writes:

          >I can remember reading them with a certain author's husband many years
          >ago.....still my favorites of all-time, and periodically get re-read.
          >read The Hobbit to my sons a couple of years ago, and am debating a re-read
          >of that or progressing to the Lord of the Rings.

          And he in turn turned this certain author on to them. I've lost track of my
          rereads. It was an annual ritual for years. Sadly, my kids just can't get
          into them. But neither are great fantasy readers to begin with. Tim loves
          the Redwall books, but that's about it, besides Naria and Dahl a few years
          back. Matt prefers sf, although he really likes my books. He did a report on
          SD in 7th grade. Got an A, too!

          Lynn
        • FireDreamer
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2000
            > And he in turn turned this certain author on to them. I've lost track of my
            > rereads. It was an annual ritual for years. Sadly, my kids just can't get
            > into them. But neither are great fantasy readers to begin with. Tim loves
            > the Redwall books, but that's about it, besides Naria and Dahl a few years
            > back. Matt prefers sf, although he really likes my books. He did a report on
            > SD in 7th grade. Got an A, too!
            >
            > Lynn

            hehehehe "so I did an interview with the author, who was more than happy
            to help, being my mother...." *giggles* tha work? ....
            .....No one in my family even remotly likes reading except for my father
            who thinks that sports and politics are good and that a person must be
            weak to want to read fiction cause "they can't handle reality" -_-
          • _smichael@excite.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2000
              This is shameful, but I just read LoR about seven months ago! I don't
              know what took me so long.

              I just finished the last book of the Sword of Truth series by
              Goodkind. Good read,but I think it's time to wrap the series up now.
              I could have done without the constant rapes that occur. Sure, war is
              hell, but it gets old after awhile. Soul of fire had some great minor
              character developments.

              -Sherry