Re: Human nature

  • leafmirror2
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 1, 2002
      --- In Flewelling@y..., claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@y...> wrote:

      > I have *never* warned a potential reader about your
      > books.

      Darn, now I'll have to put more in. ;-) Actually, I've been taken to task more for
      the killing of Brother than anything else I've done.

      > Tell those boys of yours to look at
      > Ivy league schools! I'll help sell enough to put 'em
      > through!
      >
      > Claudia

      LOL! Every little bit helps! We're doing collge applications now.
    • moon_beam117
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 1, 2002
        > I'm going to have to agree here. Even at my age I've read things
        much
        > more horrific, discriptive, and disturbing than anything Lynn's
        > written. Some things marketed to people my age are quite graphic
        and
        > verging on disgusting, much more so than Lynn's books.

        I've never thought of Lynn's books as violent at all....I went
        through a brief horror phase when I was younger so I read a lot of
        teen horror books....some of them quite frankly were downright gross
        and over the top....I must say the only thing that made me cringe was
        when Seregil dislocated his thumbs to get out of his cuffs....but
        thats just because i hate it when people click there
        fingers!!!!!.....I'm wierd like that....but no, violence certainly
        isnt an issue i would raise with regards to Lynn's books....

        > Also, I've studied the World Wars and have actually done reports on
        > concentration camps. It's not hard to find information about such
        > things online. Not hard at all.

        Yeah, I know what u mean....

        Jenny
      • leafmirror2
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 1, 2002
          --- In Flewelling@y..., "moon_beam117" <moon_child117@h...> wrote:

          > I've never thought of Lynn's books as violent at all....I went
          > through a brief horror phase when I was younger so I read a lot of
          > teen horror books....some of them quite frankly were downright gross
          > and over the top....I must say the only thing that made me cringe was
          > when Seregil dislocated his thumbs to get out of his cuffs....but
          > thats just because i hate it when people click there
          > fingers!!!!!.....I'm wierd like that....but no, violence certainly
          > isnt an issue i would raise with regards to Lynn's books....

          Let's see: I hacked people's chests open with axes, had Alec more or less
          raped by a corpse, killed a baby, had Seregil "murdered" before Alec's eyes,
          dismembered corpses in the sitting room, crucified soldiers, pawing through
          dead bodies with Micum-- Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)

          On another topic entirely, I must be getting close to finishing Hidden Warrior.
          I've got insomnia, a painful sinus infection, a viral flu, and pinched nerves in
          my back making my right leg numb, plus a few other things too fierce to
          mention. Yep, those are all the signs of nearing the end of first draft! :-)
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
            In a message dated 01/09/02 21:36:20 GMT Daylight Time, leafmirror2@...
            writes:

            > Let's see: I hacked people's chests open with axes, had Alec more or less
            > raped by a corpse, killed a baby, had Seregil "murdered" before Alec's
            > eyes,
            > dismembered corpses in the sitting room, crucified soldiers, pawing through
            >
            > dead bodies with Micum-- Damn, what does it take to horrify you people!
            > ;-)

            Kill off Seregil and Alec? <g>. But I wouldn't like to be around to deal
            with the subsequent revolting peasants <g>..

            > On another topic entirely, I must be getting close to finishing Hidden
            > Warrior.
            > I've got insomnia, a painful sinus infection, a viral flu, and pinched
            > nerves in
            > my back making my right leg numb, plus a few other things too fierce to
            > mention. Yep, those are all the signs of nearing the end of first draft!
            > :-)

            Well I'd say that's good ;-), but it sounds all wrong.. <g>. Get better
            soon...

          • moon_beam117
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
              Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)

              LOL!!!! Nah....you're books really aren't that violent....

              > On another topic entirely, I must be getting close to finishing
              Hidden Warrior.
              > I've got insomnia, a painful sinus infection, a viral flu, and
              pinched nerves in
              > my back making my right leg numb, plus a few other things too
              fierce to
              > mention. Yep, those are all the signs of nearing the end of first
              draft! :-)

              Awwww....get well soon goddess!!!!

              Jenny....sending *pretend* cyber choccies....the only cure for
              illness!!!!
            • leafmirror2
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                --- In Flewelling@y..., "moon_beam117" <moon_child117@h...> wrote:

                > Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)
                >
                > LOL!!!! Nah....you're books really aren't that violent....

                Hmmm. This is interesting. Because quite frankly, they are. Violent things
                happen, but many of you are not registering them as violent. Hmmmmm.
              • moon_beam117
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                  --- In Flewelling@y..., "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                  > --- In Flewelling@y..., "moon_beam117" <moon_child117@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)
                  > >
                  > > LOL!!!! Nah....you're books really aren't that violent....
                  > >

                  > Hmmm. This is interesting. Because quite frankly, they are. Violent
                  things
                  > happen, but many of you are not registering them as violent. Hmmmmm.

                  Perhaps my generation is used to violence and so I don't register
                  your books as violent.....it takes a lot to gross us teens out....

                  Jenny....
                • dangelle2000
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                    --- In Flewelling@y..., "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                    > --- In Flewelling@y..., "moon_beam117" <moon_child117@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)
                    > >
                    > > LOL!!!! Nah....you're books really aren't that violent....
                    > >

                    > Hmmm. This is interesting. Because quite frankly, they are. Violent
                    things
                    > happen, but many of you are not registering them as violent. Hmmmmm.

                    The violence isn't gratuitous. It seems to be there as part of the
                    story and not as a device to gross us out.

                    Angelle
                  • moon_beam117
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                      > The violence isn't gratuitous. It seems to be there as part of the
                      > story and not as a device to gross us out.
                      >
                      > Angelle

                      Exactly....that's what I meant to say only I forgot my articulacy
                      pills....

                      Jenny
                    • Maryrose Lockerbie
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                        Perhaps it's because the violent things you put in are well chosen (if
                        violence can said to be well chosen) scenes that are actually integral to
                        the plot, rather than gratuitous violence that doesn't advance anything . .
                        . I mean I found the scene where Brother was killed . . and the bits of bone
                        and skin being sewn up in dolls and Tobin really horrifying . . . but it was
                        also an integral part of the plot which is what I focussed on.

                        Just my two cents,

                        Mere
                        > > Damn, what does it take to horrify you people! ;-)
                        > >
                        > > LOL!!!! Nah....you're books really aren't that violent....
                        > >

                        > Hmmm. This is interesting. Because quite frankly, they are. Violent things
                        > happen, but many of you are not registering them as violent. Hmmmmm.
                        >

                        > The Flewelling List Chat room can be accessed via the list webpage at
                        Yahoo. Click on chat in the menu on the left.
                        > Regular chat times Saturday 8pm GMT. Friday 9pm EST.

                      • leafmirror2
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                          --- In Flewelling@y..., "dangelle2000" <dangelle@h...> wrote:
                          he violence isn't gratuitous. It seems to be there as part of the
                          > story and not as a device to gross us out.
                          >
                          > Angelle

                          Ah, that I can live with. :-)
                        • leafmirror2
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 2, 2002
                            --- In Flewelling@y..., "Maryrose Lockerbie" <mere@e...> wrote:
                            > Perhaps it's because the violent things you put in are well chosen (if
                            > violence can said to be well chosen) scenes that are actually integral to
                            > the plot, rather than gratuitous violence that doesn't advance anything . .
                            > . I mean I found the scene where Brother was killed . . and the bits of bone
                            > and skin being sewn up in dolls and Tobin really horrifying . . . but it was
                            > also an integral part of the plot which is what I focussed on.

                            Thanks. Maybe it's like Pulp Fiction, in which the focus is on the people, not
                            the violence for it's own sake?
                          • Andrea Chavez
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002

                              > Thanks. Maybe it's like Pulp Fiction, in which the
                              > focus is on the people, not
                              > the violence for it's own sake?

                              yep, like that. I do not expect the A and S books or
                              Tobin's story to be without violence. They live in a
                              "medieval-like" fantasy world of swords and wars, etc.
                              I expect a certain amount of violence and the way you
                              deal with it weaves it into the story, pulls the
                              reader in, gives the reader someone to sympathies
                              with, someone to hate too. We need to see why the
                              characters are doing what they are doing. We need to
                              see that life in their world (or indeed in our own) is
                              NOT all happiness and light.

                              The scenes that stick in my mind that might be
                              considered violent are so vital to the story that I
                              would hate to see them gone. The very first scene,
                              Alec being tortured....gad!
                              The scene where they go to the morgue and have to deal
                              with the smell and the bodies, etc. ick, but VITAL.
                              The scene of Seregil's "murder" GASP! but without it,
                              Alec would not react as he does.

                              Those are all violent or shocking scenes, but all
                              important to understand the characters and why they do
                              what they do.

                              I love Stephen King, (not has much as Claudia, but a
                              lot!!) and he can get downright gross....he has the
                              ICK factor. But he writes horror, not excellent
                              fantasy.

                              Your answer to the interviews is perfect. Silly Sods,
                              what a stupid question. Did they THINK before they
                              asked???

                              Andrea -- who also holds a journalism degree and
                              wonders if she would ask such an idiotic question.
                              Guess that is another reason I'm not a reporter.
                              (Reason number one? I tend to think it is none of my
                              business....that one is a killer on a reporters
                              career!! hahahahaha)

                              =====
                              Andrea C

                              "I always pass on good advice,
                              It's the only thing to do with it" --Oscar Wilde

                              http://finance.yahoo.com
                            • whetner
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                --- In Flewelling@y..., "leafmirror2" <leafmirror2@a...> wrote:
                                > Hmmm. This is interesting. Because quite frankly, they are. Violent
                                things
                                > happen, but many of you are not registering them as violent. Hmmmmm.

                                Frankly, I'm more horrified at real life stuff, like you said. WW2
                                film footage of the camps and dead bodies in mass graves (and this
                                was BEFORE Shindler's List came out). News footage of
                                Rwanda/Serbia/Croatia/Afghanistan/etc. Things like that are far more
                                horrifying simply because they're real.

                                The baby killing thing did give me pause, but only for a moment. When
                                reading Bone Doll's Twin I did get some chills from the ghost. But
                                good chills. :)

                                -Sherene
                              • claudia wohlfeil
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                  --- Andrea Chavez <achavez47@...> wrote:

                                  > I love Stephen King, (not has much as Claudia, but a
                                  > lot!!) and he can get downright gross....he has the
                                  > ICK factor. But he writes horror, not excellent
                                  > fantasy.

                                  He does write excellent fantasy....The Talisman, The
                                  Gunslinger series, Bleak House.

                                  Claudia ( just being picky....after having to have a
                                  root canal this morning)

                                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                                • yesterdayzgirl@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                    In a message dated 9/2/2002 8:02:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, "leafmirror2" <
                                    leafmirror2@...> writes:

                                    > Let's see: I hacked people's chests open with axes, had Alec more or less
                                    > raped by a corpse, killed a baby, had Seregil "murdered" before Alec's
                                    > eyes,
                                    > dismembered corpses in the sitting room, crucified soldiers, pawing through
                                    >
                                    > dead bodies with Micum-- Damn, what does it take to horrify you people!
                                    > ;-)

                                    I'd like to just add to this conversation that I was definitely disturbed by
                                    Bone Dolls Twin. The funny part is that I had brought that and Queen of the
                                    Damned with me on vacation thinking BDT would be the less frightening of the
                                    two...hm, was wrong on that one. But the odd thing is that what disturbed me
                                    about it wasn't the dead baby itself, it was my own mind. After reading BDT
                                    for hours on end (car trip from upstate NY to Myrtle Beach), I kept thinking
                                    I saw Brother out of the corner of my eye. Even more disturbing was that
                                    after a while, it didn't bother me. And that sort of bothered me (if you
                                    follow the logic). Of course, I have my own issues with ghosts...

                                    > On another topic entirely, I must be getting close to finishing Hidden
                                    > Warrior.
                                    > I've got insomnia, a painful sinus infection, a viral flu, and pinched
                                    > nerves in
                                    > my back making my right leg numb, plus a few other things too fierce to
                                    > mention. Yep, those are all the signs of nearing the end of first draft!
                                    > :-)

                                    Oh! Feel better! ::offerings of comfort food to the Goddess::

                                    Sara
                                    yesterdayzgirl

                                    "In the laughing times we know that we are lucky, And in the quiet times we
                                    know that we are blessed. And we will not be alone anymore." - Dar Williams

                                    Sara's website - http://www.angelfire.com/ny3/cedara

                                  • Andrea Chavez
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                      > > I love Stephen King, (not has much as Claudia, but
                                      > > lot!!) and he can get downright gross....he has
                                      > the
                                      > > ICK factor. But he writes horror, not excellent
                                      > > fantasy.
                                      >
                                      > He does write excellent fantasy....The Talisman, The
                                      > Gunslinger series, Bleak House.

                                      Heya Claudia
                                      You are correct - -he does write fantasy too, but is
                                      more known for the horror -- I stand corrected! :-)
                                      (I loved Talisman, I am the only person I know who
                                      hated Gunslinger)

                                      > Claudia ( just being picky....after having to have a
                                      > root canal this morning)

                                      I had a feeling that was going to be the answer, but I
                                      didn't want to tell ya yesterday. Sorry buckaroo, it
                                      will start feeling better soon!

                                      Andrea -- had one root canal and was happy to have it,
                                      everything stopped hurting

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                        --- Andrea Chavez <achavez47@...> wrote:

                                        > Heya Claudia
                                        > You are correct - -he does write fantasy too, but is
                                        > more known for the horror -- I stand corrected! :-)
                                        > (I loved Talisman, I am the only person I know who
                                        > hated Gunslinger)

                                        You're the only one I know ;-)
                                        I actually didn't like it the first time around, but
                                        the second book was so amazing that I went back to
                                        re-read the first book and I liked it much better the
                                        second time.

                                        > I had a feeling that was going to be the answer, but
                                        > I didn't want to tell ya yesterday. Sorry buckaroo,
                                        > it will start feeling better soon!

                                        Oh, it already feels better than the pain I was living
                                        with for the past month. It actually didn't take very
                                        long (about 5 minutes!) for the actual root canal
                                        part, but I did have to wait a bit for the doc to fill
                                        it. A little kid who had an accident on a scooter
                                        jumped in front of me (poor little guy chipped his two
                                        front teeth in half).

                                        The only thing that is kind of sore now is my jaw
                                        because I had to keep it open the entire time they
                                        fixed up the little kid. But I was able to eat lunch
                                        today, hot food didn't send me into the stratosphere,
                                        cold water went down fine....heck I could even chew on
                                        that side again! All is good.

                                        > Andrea -- had one root canal and was happy to have
                                        > it, everything stopped hurting

                                        Exactly! People couldn't believe I came to work
                                        afterwards! Weenies!

                                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                                      • claudia wohlfeil
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                          --- claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@...> wrote:

                                          > He does write excellent fantasy....The Talisman, The
                                          > Gunslinger series, Bleak House.

                                          Good heavens....it's Black House, not Bleak House!

                                          The sequel to the Talisman....sigh....I plead root
                                          canal defense!

                                          Claudia

                                          http://finance.yahoo.com
                                        • arrowny@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 3, 2002
                                            For clairty, I personally registered parts of Bone Doll's Twin to be
                                            disturbing and macabre, but not really violent per se. I think of "violence"
                                            as depictions of heads rolling and blood smearing on walls. Haven't read any
                                            of the other books yet, though.

                                            ~Zach

                                          • oberondd
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 4, 2002
                                              Hmmm... I'd tend to agree with others that the violence in your
                                              books, however graphical, is part of the storyline and not the
                                              storyline itself, so it's rather easy to digest. Plus I'd say that
                                              people are generally less sensitive to any type of violence nowadays.
                                              How does that TV news rule go... "a person that got run over by a car
                                              is worthy of a mention in the morning news, a carload of people
                                              mangled by a truck is OK for a 5 o'clock news broadcast, now an
                                              accident involving a busload of schoolchildren is what makes the 10
                                              o'clock news!" So a couple of mutilated corpses is really not that
                                              big of a deal. :-)

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 4, 2002
                                                Oh, there's some of that too in the NR series... :-)

                                                S - who did most of his first reading of Lynn's books at nights
                                                before going to bed...

                                                PS Eh, for clarification: I did not read them becaus I was finding
                                                them boring, it's just that's when I do most of my "leisure"
                                                readings...

                                                PPS I found that my younger brother was falling asleep much faster
                                                when I was reading to him from political science textbook, instead of
                                                fairy tales.

                                                > disturbing and macabre, but not really violent per se. I think
                                                of "violence"
                                                > as depictions of heads rolling and blood smearing on walls. Haven't
                                                read any
                                                > of the other books yet, though.
                                                >
                                                > ~Zach
                                              • whetner
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Sep 4, 2002
                                                  --- In Flewelling@y..., claudia wohlfeil <candwwohlfeil@y...> wrote:
                                                  > > He does write excellent fantasy....The Talisman, The
                                                  > > Gunslinger series, Bleak House.
                                                  >
                                                  > Good heavens....it's Black House, not Bleak House!

                                                  What, you mean Dickens isn't another one of Stephen King's
                                                  pseudonyms? ;)

                                                  -Sherene