Re: Fave Quotes

  • Leafmirror@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 1999
      In a message dated 12/3/99 11:54:33 AM, achavez47@... writes:

      >Lynn -- How long did it take to develop the character
      >of Seregil? Did he come to you full-blown in a
      >marvelous dream or was it years of thinking and
      >refining him? He is so multi-dimensional and complex.
      > I really do hold my own meager little characters to
      >the "Seregil Standard"

      I'm a standard setter? Gee! :-) I took a long time writing those first
      two books, and it involved a lot of revising, backtracking, and pondering.
      I think the core of him came to me in the beginning, the fleshing-out bits--
      mannerisms, history, habits and morays, took shape along with the story. As I
      set up a scene or piece of action, part of me was/is always asking "What
      would Seregil (or any other given character) do here?" Maybe we should steal
      an idea from the latest Christian fad and make up "WWSD" bracelets? ;-)

      It's so hard to say exactly what the process is; I'm one of those "follow
      your gut instinct" writers. The devil really is in the details. You write a
      scene, then you or someone you trust reads it over and it strikes a sour
      note. Could be you're forcing a character to act in an uncharacteristic
      manner to suit the action. Or that you haven't set up the character to have
      that reaction in the mind of the reader. Sometimes you have a scene all set
      up in your mind and it just won't come-- because even though its neat-o keen,
      it just doen't ring true. The bottom line is, get the first draft of a
      chapter/scene/book/whatever down, then go over it again and again until it
      really sings. Watch your characters for continuity and interest, card out
      the overly tangled exposition, balance your tale with lots of variety of
      delivery, and see if it's got legs.

      LF
    • Andrea Chavez
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 1999
        Hi again everyone

        I look forward to meeting you everyday...that's a good
        sign.

        I was half asleep last night (oh, I'm reading a David
        Eddings, just for your guys!!) anyway .. Thero came
        to mind.

        "Can't you ever go somewhere without stealing
        something?"

        I re-read that line the other night and laughed out
        loud. As I remember, I laughed outloud the first and
        second time I read it to.....It's a keeper!

        That and --

        "Bilary's Ball, isn't there such a thing as modesty?"
        "I never had much use for it myself."

        HAHAHAHHAHAHA----that sums up Alec and Seregil to a
        'T' for me...... :-)

        Short Stories -- OK, I'm not a professional writer by
        any means, but short stories are my speciality.
        (Alas, they don't sell very well.) I don't know if
        they are easier, just shorter. A really good short
        story (You know a great writer like Saki) Now those
        are works of art!! Every word is a gem. They must
        pick plot elements carefully and know just how much to
        let the reader figure out on their own. The story
        must be defined and concise. (HA! That's where I get
        into trouble!) :-) I love short stories with twists
        on the end...like Saki's "The Window" for example or
        one called "The Puppet Master" I forget who wrote that
        one.

        HOWEVER -- Lynn, if you ever want to test out a short
        story idea on us....do feel free!!! :-)
        I could have a hell of a good time writing a short
        story with Seregil and Alec.....but no fan-fiction
        here, and my Morgan and Duran would get pissed at me
        if I wasn't writing about them! Characters...they are
        so demanding!

        Andrea