Flash Lite and C++ integration

  • frank84p
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 16, 2008
      Hi Everybody,
      I'm new in this group.
      I'm a student.I'm attending new media engineering class at Turin
      Polytechnic (aka Poli).
      Right now I'm working on my master degree thesis.
      I'm developing an application for S60 and I want to improve the appeal
      of my application using FlashLite.
      So, now I have a Symbian Server and a flash UI.
      The problem is how they communicate?
      I think that the solution is using a text protocol like XML-RPC (by
      opening a xmlsocket)
      Is it a good idea?
      I also think that can be usefull create a general porpuse communication
      framework.
      But my knowledge of ActionScript is not so good!
      Have you got any example or any suggestion?
    • Ugur Kaner
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 16, 2008
        Hey Frank, did you see these?

        www.kunerilite.net

        or

        www.flyerframework.org

        cheers,

        Ugur.-

        frank84p wrote:
        > Hi Everybody,
        > I'm new in this group.
        > I'm a student.I'm attending new media engineering class at Turin
        > Polytechnic (aka Poli).
        > Right now I'm working on my master degree thesis.
        > I'm developing an application for S60 and I want to improve the appeal
        > of my application using FlashLite.
        > So, now I have a Symbian Server and a flash UI.
        > The problem is how they communicate?
        > I think that the solution is using a text protocol like XML-RPC (by
        > opening a xmlsocket)
        > Is it a good idea?
        > I also think that can be usefull create a general porpuse communication
        > framework.
        > But my knowledge of ActionScript is not so good!
        > Have you got any example or any suggestion?

        -
      • frank84p
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 17, 2008
          Thanks for the reply. But what i need is something different. Because
          I need to use my symbian application.
          My integration model is based on RPC. I need to create a general RPC
          comunication so I can reuse my interface.
          Any other idea?
          Thanks

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 17, 2008
            Ciao,

            you need to create a symbian XMLSocket server and make it communicate with your  FL application via XMLSocket.
            The XML Socket API on FL is only available from FL2.1 and up.

            Alessandro

            Hi,

            --
            Alessandro Pace
            Mobile Architect
            Blog: www.biskero.org
            Blog: www.flashlite4nokia.com
            Site: www.biskero.com
            Email: biskero@...
            Skype: biskero
            Jaiku: biskero
            Twitter: biskero
            LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
            Forum Nokia Champion
            Adobe Community Expert Mobile
            Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group: www.flashmobilegroup.org
            Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston.com
          • frank84p
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 17, 2008
              Thanks Alessandro
              in order to communicate with XML socket I need to encapsulate my XML
              message in http (in other words i need to put http header on message)?
              and what about policy file?
              I need to call loadPolicyfile in my flash actionscript?
              is it necessary if the two process are running on the same machine?

              Francesco

              --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Alessandro Pace" <biskero@...>
              wrote:

              > Ciao,
              >
              > you need to create a symbian XMLSocket server and make it
              communicate with
              > your FL application via XMLSocket.
              > The XML Socket API on FL is only available from FL2.1 and up.
              >

              > Alessandro
              >

              > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 4:29 AM, frank84p <frank84p@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi,
              > > Thanks for the reply. But what i need is something different.
              Because
              > > I need to use my symbian application.
              > > My integration model is based on RPC. I need to create a general
              RPC
              > > comunication so I can reuse my interface.
              > > Any other idea?
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com <FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>,
              Ugur Kaner

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 17, 2008
                Ciao Francesco,

                I do not think you need to change the header. One thing is that the socket port needs to be greater then 1024.
                check this article, is for Flyer but the FL part should give you an idea how to work with XMLSockets,
                http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/flyer.html

                Also if you need to look at other resources I have a list here:
                http://www.biskero.org/?page_id=342

                Alessandro

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008
                  Thanks Alessandro.
                  I have another question is it possible open a binary socket in
                  FlashLite 3.0?
                  and what about a simple http socket?

                  Thanks

                  --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Alessandro Pace" <biskero@...> wrote:

                  > Ciao Francesco,
                  >
                  > I do not think you need to change the header. One thing is that the
                  socket
                  > port needs to be greater then 1024.
                  > check this article, is for Flyer but the FL part should give you an
                  idea how
                  > to work with XMLSockets,
                  > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/flyer.html
                  >
                  > Also if you need to look at other resources I have a list here:
                  > http://www.biskero.org/?page_id=342
                  >
                  > Alessandro
                  >
                  > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:12 AM, frank84p <frank84p@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks Alessandro
                  > > in order to communicate with XML socket I need to encapsulate my XML
                  > > message in http (in other words i need to put http header on message)?
                  > > and what about policy file?
                  > > I need to call loadPolicyfile in my flash actionscript?
                  > > is it necessary if the two process are running on the same machine?
                  > >
                  > > Francesco
                  > >
                  > > --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com <FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > > "Alessandro Pace" <biskero@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ciao,
                  > > >
                  > > > you need to create a symbian XMLSocket server and make it
                  > > communicate with
                  > > > your FL application via XMLSocket.
                  > > > The XML Socket API on FL is only available from FL2.1 and up.
                  > > >

                  > > > Alessandro

                  > > Because
                  > > RPC

                  <FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com><FlashLite%

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008
                      Ciao Francesco,

                      yes, FL3 supports XMLSockets too. Just remember that there is the new security sandbox.
                      I think only XMLSockets are supported.

                      Alessandro

                    • Mark Doherty
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008

                        Hey Frank,

                        Flash Lite 3.1 supports binary sockets, can you tell us what you would use them for out of interest?

                        Mark

                        To: FlashLite@yahoogroups.com
                        From: frank84p@...
                        Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000
                        Subject: [FlashLite] Re: Flash Lite and C++ integration

> [...]

                        > > > Jaiku: biskero
                        > > > Twitter: biskero
                        > > > LinkedIn: www.linkedin. com/in/biskero
                        > > > Forum Nokia Champion
                        > > > Adobe Community Expert Mobile
                        > > > Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group:
                        > > > www.flashmobilegrou p.org
                        > > > Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston. com
                        > > >

                        > --
                        > Alessandro Pace
                        > Mobile Architect
                        > Blog: www.biskero. org
                        > Blog: www.flashlite4nokia .com
                        > Site: www.biskero. com
                        > Email: biskero@...
                        > Skype: biskero
                        > Jaiku: biskero
                        > Twitter: biskero
                        > LinkedIn: www.linkedin. com/in/biskero
                        > Forum Nokia Champion
                        > Adobe Community Expert Mobile
                        > Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group:

                        Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now
                      • cisnky
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008
                          Is Flash Lite 3.1 available for developers?

                          To: FlashLite@yahoogroups.com
                          From: frank84p@...
                          Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                            Binary socket it's a good way to let communicate Symbian and FlashLite
                            (in localhost). I know that there is the possibility to open XMLsocket
                            and communicate with a textual protocol....but for now I need to check
                            any possible way to communicate.
                            So is it Flash Lite 3.1 avaible for developers?
                            And any idea of when it will be avaible inside the celphone?

                            Thanks!
                            --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, cisnky <cisnky@...> wrote:

                            > Is Flash Lite 3.1 available for developers?
                            >
                            > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Mark Doherty <markadoherty@...>
                            > wrote:
                            >

                            > > Hey Frank,
                            > >
                            > > Flash Lite 3.1 supports binary sockets, can you tell us what you
                            would use
                            > > them for out of interest?
                            > >
                            > > Mark
                            > >

                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > To: FlashLite@yahoogroups.com
                            > > From: frank84p@...
                            > > Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000
                            > > Subject: [FlashLite] Re: Flash Lite and C++ integration
                            > >

                            > > Thanks Alessandro.
                            > > I have another question is it possible open a binary socket in
                            > > FlashLite 3.0?
                            > > and what about a simple http socket?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks
                            > >
                            > > --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Alessandro Pace" <biskero@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Ciao Francesco,
                            > > >
                            > > > I do not think you need to change the header. One thing is that the
                            > > socket
                            > > > port needs to be greater then 1024.
                            > > > check this article, is for Flyer but the FL part should give you an
                            > > idea how
                            > > > to work with XMLSockets,
                            > > > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/flyer.html
                            > > >
                            > > > Also if you need to look at other resources I have a list here:
                            > > > http://www.biskero.org/?page_id=342
                            > > >
                            > > > Alessandro

                            > > <FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com><FlashLite%

                            > > > --
                            > > > Alessandro Pace
                            > > > Mobile Architect
                            > > > Blog: www.biskero.org
                            > > > Blog: www.flashlite4nokia.com
                            > > > Site: www.biskero.com
                            > > > Email: biskero@
                            > > > Skype: biskero
                            > > > Jaiku: biskero
                            > > > Twitter: biskero
                            > > > LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
                            > > > Forum Nokia Champion
                            > > > Adobe Community Expert Mobile
                            > > > Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group:
                            > > > www.flashmobilegroup.org
                            > > > Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston.com
                            > > >

                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play
                            Now<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000008ukm/direct/01/>

                          • Mark Doherty
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                              We expect that oems will integrate this over the next year. It will be widely available for sure starting with win mo 6.1.

                              From: frank84p@yahoo. it
                              Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                                Interesting, i should point out that using localhost servers is not a tested use case. It may work on some releases but this isnt supported if something breaks, in fact with flash lite 3 the security model currently stops such communications. If there is a really good use case that you want to share (other than accessing device apis) then im all ears! Mark

                                Binary socket it's a good way to let communicate Symbian and FlashLite
                                (in localhost). I know that there is the possibility to open XMLsocket
                                and communicate with a textual protocol.... but for now I need to check
                                any possible way to communicate.
                                So is it Flash Lite 3.1 avaible for developers?
                                And any idea of when it will be avaible inside the celphone?

                                Thanks!

                                --- In FlashLite@yahoogrou ps.com, cisnky <cisnky@...> wrote:

                                > Is Flash Lite 3.1 available for developers?
                                >
                                > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Mark Doherty <markadoherty@ ...>
                                > wrote:
                                >

                                > > Hey Frank,
                                > >
                                > > Flash Lite 3.1 supports binary sockets, can you tell us what you
                                would use
                                > > them for out of interest?
                                > >
                                > > Mark
                                > >

                                > > ------------ --------- ---------
                                > > To: FlashLite@yahoogrou ps.com
                                > > From: frank84p@...
                                > > Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000
                                > > Subject: [FlashLite] Re: Flash Lite and C++ integration
                                > >

                                > > Thanks Alessandro.
                                > > I have another question is it possible open a binary socket in
                                > > FlashLite 3.0?
                                > > and what about a simple http socket?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks
                                > >
                                > > --- In FlashLite@yahoogrou ps.com, "Alessandro Pace" <biskero@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Ciao Francesco,
                                > > >
                                > > > I do not think you need to change the header. One thing is that the
                                > > socket
                                > > > port needs to be greater then 1024.
                                > > > check this article, is for Flyer but the FL part should give you an
                                > > idea how
                                > > > to work with XMLSockets,
                                > > > http://www.adobe. com/devnet/ devices/articles /flyer.html
                                > > >
                                > > > Also if you need to look at other resources I have a list here:
                                > > > http://www.biskero. org/?page_ id=342
                                > > >
                                > > > Alessandro

                                > > <FlashLite%40yahoog roups.com> <FlashLite%

                                > > > --
                                > > > Alessandro Pace
                                > > > Mobile Architect
                                > > > Blog: www.biskero. org
                                > > > Blog: www.flashlite4nokia .com
                                > > > Site: www.biskero. com
                                > > > Email: biskero@
                                > > > Skype: biskero
                                > > > Jaiku: biskero
                                > > > Twitter: biskero
                                > > > LinkedIn: www.linkedin. com/in/biskero
                                > > > Forum Nokia Champion
                                > > > Adobe Community Expert Mobile
                                > > > Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group:
                                > > > www.flashmobilegrou p.org
                                > > > Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston. com
                                > > >

                                > > ------------ --------- ---------
                                > > Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play
                                Now<http://clk.atdmt. com/UKM/go/ msnnkmgl00100000 08ukm/direct/ 01/>

                              • Weyert de Boer
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                                  Hi Mark,
                                  I would use it to communicate with specific database solutions in their
                                  most compact and efficient way. Of course, I can develope message
                                  protocol which is based on XML and/or HTTP with that of course comes
                                  with more overhead. The less bytes the better for the phone user.

                                  http://beta.remobjects.com/product/?id={3671602C-691F-4E73-AFB7-10D955E9684B}
                                  ;)

                                  Yours,
                                  Weyert
                                • Francesco
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                                    Yes, I agree with you!I think that less overhead is a good reason to
                                    use binary socket.
                                    Especially in mobile field!
                                    But as I see I can't use it right now.
                                    I want to graduate not too late!!So I can't wait for Flash 3.1!!
                                    I will use the good old XMLsocket for my master degree thesis!!!

                                    --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, Weyert de Boer <wdb@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Mark,
                                    > I would use it to communicate with specific database solutions in their
                                    > most compact and efficient way. Of course, I can develope message
                                    > protocol which is based on XML and/or HTTP with that of course comes
                                    > with more overhead. The less bytes the better for the phone user.

                                    http://beta.remobjects.com/product/?id={3671602C-691F-4E73-AFB7-10D955E9684B}

                                    > ;)
                                    >
                                    > Yours,
                                    > Weyert

                                  • Anand Joshi
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                                      I was under the impression that binary sockets were supported by AS3. Glad to know that FL3.1 supports it. Is there any documentation on usage/limitations?

                                      Thanks,

                                      Anand

                                      --
                                      Read my blog http://www.embeddedflash.com

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 27, 2008
                                        It is an as3 feature though it has been enabled in flash lite too. There is no documentation available because you cannot currently use the runtime. Mark

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jul 3, 2008
                                          before everything I want to thank you all.
                                          I have another question about how flash works.
                                          is it multi threading?
                                          I try to express myself clearly...
                                          I have a object whit a function toXML() that build an XML
                                          My question is: while the function is running if an event start (I
                                          don't know...someone press one button) the event is handled
                                          simultaneously?or flash waiting for toXML() return?
                                          and what happens if the event make a call to the same function toXML()?

                                          Thanks Again

                                          Francesco

                                          --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Doherty " <markadoherty@...>

                                          ps.com<mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>, cisnky <cisnky@> wrote:

                                          > > Is Flash Lite 3.1 available for developers?
                                          > >
                                          > > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Mark Doherty <markadoherty@ ...>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > > Hey Frank,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Flash Lite 3.1 supports binary sockets, can you tell us what you
                                          > would use
                                          > > > them for out of interest?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Mark
                                          > > >

                                          > > > ------------ --------- ---------
                                          > > > To: FlashLite@yahoogrou ps.com<mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > > > From: frank84p@
                                          > > > Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:17:04 +0000
                                          > > > Subject: [FlashLite] Re: Flash Lite and C++ integration
                                          > > >

                                          > > > Thanks Alessandro.
                                          > > > I have another question is it possible open a binary socket in
                                          > > > FlashLite 3.0?
                                          > > > and what about a simple http socket?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Thanks
                                          > > >
                                          > > > --- In FlashLite@yahoogrou
                                          ps.com<mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>, "Alessandro Pace"

                                          /flyer.html<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/flyer.html>

                                          id=342<http://www.biskero.org/?page_id=342>

                                          > my XML
                                          > message)?
                                          > machine?

                                          ps.com<mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com> <FlashLite%40yahoog
                                          roups.com<http://roups.com/>> ,

                                          > general

                                          ps.com<mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > > > <FlashLite%40yahoog roups.com> <FlashLite%

                                          > improve
                                          > like XML-

                                          com/in/biskero

                                          01/<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000008ukm/direct/01/>>