Re: [FlashLite] developer newsletter

  • Scott Janousek
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2008
      DC,

      1. When is your deadline? By "news article" ... do you mean something printed, online? both? Length of it?

      2. Congrats on joojoo.jp ... is there a direct link to access content from abroad (even if it is in Japanese)?

      3. The business aspects are important for sure, but Mobile seems to evolve on multiple fronts, even if the penetration and uptake is slower.

      4. Maybe those of us with blogs in the Flash community, can all make a short summary blog post to relay information back to you. Have you made a blog post? Maybe formalize this into a blog post and then ask for feedback on your blog and/or ask people to trackback to your blog entry ... I think that would probably work best.

      -sj

      d c wrote:

      hiya

      DC here from pikkle. i manage a flashlite production co here in tokyo,
      and have been asked to write up a newsletter article for developers,
      regarding flashlite. i wonder, what ideas below might be of interest
      to people? this is mainly going to be japan focused but thought i
      would ask this list.

      my personal feeling is that tech issues are pretty well-covered. most
      "developers" are more interested in how they(we) can actually make
      money with FL or persuade clients to invest. this maybe cos the FL
      developers are mainly 3-4 ppl companies, where the lead engineer is
      also often the guy signing the cheques. solving tech problems is a lot
      easier than generating the next $50k of business. this maybe just me
      projecting, but solving tech issues is generally easy compared to
      feeding the beast.

      FYI we (pikkle) also just launched joojoo, a full-flash games portal
      here in japan. more info @ joojoo.jp (japanese, sorry)

      any other ideas appreciated too but:

      - differences between US + japanese phones

      - beyond the emulator
      what you can do (and not) with screensavers, chakuflash, inside the
      browser etc.
      differences between carriers

      - new features
      decome anime
      FLV on the phone

      - bugs and workarouds
      eg flash9 makes files bigger than FL8. embedded fonts dont work in 1.1/osx etc.

      - openscreen project
      what it means to you.

      - flashlite 1.1 is dead!
      but whats the difference? is there anything you can really do with 2.0
      that is new to the user, or just makes things easier for developers?
      eg - you can change the color property of a sprite. read XML data.
      anything else?

      - full-flash
      moving from html sites w/ inline animations to full-flash sites. how
      best to convince a client to adopt!
      the questions we get.

      - flashlite ROI
      why bother? FL is more expensive compared to XHTML, but cheaper than
      java. so is FL just limited to cheap mini-games?

      any other ideas? i dont read the flash blogs/MLs much - what do you
      think are hot topics?

      thanks!

      /dc

    • d c
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
        hi -

        > 4. Maybe those of us with blogs in the Flash community, can all make a short
        > summary blog post to relay information back to you. Have you made a blog

        thanks for the idea. done:
        http://blog.pikkle.com/?p=23

        alessandro, do you mind if i post your comments there? or better
        still, if you could add to the blog entry/trackback that would be
        great.

        btw, i added another brief piece on docomo's new flash service: "decome-anime"
        link-bait :)

        /dc
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
          Ciao David,

          no problem go head!
          Alessandro

          hi -

          --
          Alessandro Pace
          Mobile Architect
          Blog: www.biskero.org
          Blog: www.flashlite4nokia.com
          Site: www.biskero.com
          Email: biskero@...
          Skype: biskero
          Jaiku: biskero
          Twitter: biskero
          LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
          Forum Nokia Champion
          Adobe Community Expert Mobile
          Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group: www.flashmobilegroup.org
          Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston.com
        • motionitem
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2008
            This newsletter will be in english?
            Great to see there are guys out there that tries to "solve" and
            clarify some of the issues for the community.