Adobe Announces Open Screen Project : PCs and Non-PCs Converge

  • Bill Perry
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 9:14 PM
      Adobe Announces Open Screen Project : PCs and Non-PCs Converge Hey everyone,

      Some really exciting news just hit the wires, check it out:
      http://www.flashdevices.net/2008/05/adobe-announces-open-screen-project-pcs.html

      Best,
      Bill
    • naz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        Wow Bill! This is very exciting indeed!

        I'm really curious about the consistency that Adobe's going to try to
        maintain.

        1) How are the coding standards going to be?

        *It's been said before that the eventual goal is for Flash on the
        desktop and flash on mobile devices is that they're going to be using
        the same build/experience (like with the Nokia N800/N810 that run
        Flash Player 9?)

        Anyway, it's great that FL 3.1's going to be Flash 9-compatible
        (using AVM1 and AS2).

        I'm wondering though: will the lower-end devices going to have to
        revert to Fl 1.1 actionscript (FL 1.1 AS is a real pain to code in)
        or stick with AS2 and only install the newer versions of FL? (3.0 and
        up)

        With the different subtle changes from AS 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 and 3.1
        though, the landscape has already been fragmenting for Flash Lite.

        Moreover, a lot of people are clamoring for AS3 support in FL.

        So which one's going to be the projected standard for flash on mobile
        devices among the many different versions of flash on mobile and
        desktop? (the switch from AS2 to AS3 is a big thing: it's like
        switching from coding in Javascript to Java. Not very designer-and-
        not-from-a-programmer-background-friendly.)

        2) Now that Adobe's opening up flash without licensing fee
        restrictions, is there any chance that Adobe could make available the
        old Flash 1.1 and 2.0 for older Nokia Series 60 phones that used to
        be for sale at the Adobe store freely available for download for end-
        users?

        That would be a very very big boon for the Flash Lite developer
        community as it would make increase our potential user base and make
        our apps available to a much bigger audience!

        This is especially relevant in our area because we're Nokia country
        here. Most people use Nokia phones, but not that many have the latest
        models, and since a lot of the older models have so many features
        already, most people are pretty happy with their older models and no
        longer upgrade to the newer models with pre-installed FL 2.0 and up.

        There are still quite a number of people here with Nokia 6600's (FL
        1.1), and some of the older series 60 phones that support the
        versions of FL 1.1 and 2.0 that had to be bought from the Adobe Store.

        The Open Screen Project is really great for the different Flash
        communities :)

        Thanks!

        -Naz
        http://www.object404.com
        http://www.zengraffiti.com

        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, Bill Perry <bperry@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone,
        >
        > Some really exciting news just hit the wires, check it out:
        > http://www.flashdevices.net/2008/05/adobe-announces-open-screen-
        project-pcs.
        > html
        >

        > Best,
        > Bill

      • Bill Perry
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2008
          Re: [FlashLite] Re: Adobe Announces Open Screen Project : PCs and Non-PCs Converge Hi Naz,

          .bp

          On 5/2/08 3:24 PM, "naz" <naztafarian@...> wrote:

          Wow Bill! This is very exciting indeed!

          I'm really curious about the consistency that Adobe's going to try to
          maintain.

          1) How are the coding standards going to be?

          *It's been said before that the eventual goal is for Flash on the
          desktop and flash on mobile devices is that they're going to be using
          the same build/experience (like with the Nokia N800/N810 that run
          Flash Player 9?)

          >>we’re in the process of defining this and working across business units and engineering teams and with companies.

          Anyway, it's great that FL 3.1's going to be Flash 9-compatible
          (using AVM1 and AS2).

          I'm wondering though: will the lower-end devices going to have to
          revert to Fl 1.1 actionscript (FL 1.1 AS is a real pain to code in)
          or stick with AS2 and only install the newer versions of FL? (3.0 and
          up)

          >>can’t comment

          With the different subtle changes from AS 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 and 3.1
          though, the landscape has already been fragmenting for Flash Lite.

          >>agreed, we’re trying to change this by working with our current licensees.

          Moreover, a lot of people are clamoring for AS3 support in FL.

          >>yep, I get asked about it every day.

          So which one's going to be the projected standard for flash on mobile
          devices among the many different versions of flash on mobile and
          desktop? (the switch from AS2 to AS3 is a big thing: it's like
          switching from coding in Javascript to Java. Not very designer-and-
          not-from-a-programmer-background-friendly.)

          >>too early to tell.

          2) Now that Adobe's opening up flash without licensing fee
          restrictions, is there any chance that Adobe could make available the
          old Flash 1.1 and 2.0 for older Nokia Series 60 phones that used to
          be for sale at the Adobe store freely available for download for end-
          users?

          That would be a very very big boon for the Flash Lite developer
          community as it would make increase our potential user base and make
          our apps available to a much bigger audience!

          >>not sure, l don’t think so but can ask.

          This is especially relevant in our area because we're Nokia country
          here. Most people use Nokia phones, but not that many have the latest
          models, and since a lot of the older models have so many features
          already, most people are pretty happy with their older models and no
          longer upgrade to the newer models with pre-installed FL 2.0 and up.

          There are still quite a number of people here with Nokia 6600's (FL
          1.1), and some of the older series 60 phones that support the
          versions of FL 1.1 and 2.0 that had to be bought from the Adobe Store.

          >>good points, however chances are if users today still have a 6600 or similar model then they’ll be upgrading within a year.

          The Open Screen Project is really great for the different Flash
          communities :)

          >>np, glad you think it’s good.

          Thanks!

          -Naz
          http://www.object404.com
          http://www.zengraffiti.com

          --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FlashLite%40yahoogroups.com> , Bill Perry <bperry@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone,
          >
          > Some really exciting news just hit the wires, check it out:
          > http://www.flashdevices.net/2008/05/adobe-announces-open-screen-
          project-pcs.
          > html
          >

          > Best,
          > Bill

        • Paul Lamonby
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2008
            Hi Bill,

            Thanks for clarifying those points.

            Another key point is whether OSP means the FL player will be installable on any device. My gut instinct is that it will only apply to existing FL capable devices. Can you clarify?

            Also, its great that Adobe are trying to build a consistent player across all devices, but I see a few areas that need to be addressed: Screen size, user input methods, device memory/file size and developer perception.

            Screen size: Developers have to be aware that if they build an app for the web or TV, it will not look the same on a mobile and vice-versa. There is no way a web site built for 1024x768 will work scaled down to 240x320. For one its landscape vs portrait!

            User input methods: Phones dont have a mouse, some have touch screen, most have directional pads and numerics. This alone changes the whole way a developer needs to think about how a user interacts with the app.

            Device memory/File size: Try to run any website built with Flash on a phone now, even the N95, and I almost guarantee it will run out of memory. Developers also need to be aware that the mobile web costs the user money. Most mobile users dont have unlimited download plans, so a mobile app has to be low file size and low memory.

            Developer perception: Adobe need to think clearly about how they market OSP to developers. If developers start to think its one player fits all, they will be bitterly disappointed, for the reasons I have just pointed out. The exact same has happened with mobile. Lots of operators and OEMs have tried to sell the mobile web as if its the same as the desktop web, it isnt, and when users have found out they too have been bitterly disappointed, hence the slow take up of the mobile web.

            Paul