TOO MUCH SPAM!!! Moderators help!

  • John C. Bland II
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      What's up with this list? I've been on here for a few years and the spam is horrible to the point where I stopped reading because there is, IMO, more spam than legit content.

      Can the moderators please do something ASAP? Maybe just switch to Google groups or stop letting anyone join without moderation.

      I simply don't want to unsubscribe but this is definitely out of hand. From the last 10 messages, 5 were spam. Terrible.

      Thoughts?

      --
      John C. Bland II
      Chief Geek
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        Ciao

        we moderate the user group. SPAM sometimes goes through and we cannot do anything about it. We try to do as much as we can! There are several moderators around the world to cover all timezones. We immediately remove the messages and ban the user.
        If you want to help to keep it clean you can be a moderator too.

        Thanks
        Alessandro

        On 8/1/07, John C. Bland II < johncblandii@...> wrote:

[...]

        Alessandro Pace
        Mobile Architect
        Blog:    www.biskero.org
        Site:     www.biskero.com
        Email:  biskero@...
        Skype: biskero
        LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
        Forum Nokia Champion
        Adobe Community Expert Mobile
        Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group: www.flashmobilegroup.org
        Co-Founder of Mobile Monday Boston www.momoboston.com
      • Paul Andrews
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          Considering I get over 200 spam messages a day, I don't think 5 on this list is going to lose me any sleep, nor should it you.

          Spam is irrritating, but it's far from out of hand.

          Paul

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              Ciao everyone,

              Hayden suggested me to have turn on moderation on new users.
              What do you think? It means that every new user will need to be accepted by the moderators.

              Alessandro

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007

                I don't mind either way. Some lists do that, but it adds to the moderators workload and if moderators are busy and posts take time to get through it can frustrate users under moderation, particularly new users.

                I don't think there's really a big problem here (yet). It's a pretty quiet list.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Thanks for raising this complaint.  For a low-volume tech list, especially, this one receives a LOT of spam and OT posts.  I've been tempted to unsubscribe on several occasions, but as far as I know this is the only FlashLite list, so there's no where else to go.

                  I recommend tightening the settings for membership and/or posting.  EITHER requiring approval for new members OR requiring approval for messages from new members should be sufficient.

                  Also, please allow list members to create new polls.  This appears to be disabled now.  A poll could be used to gauge the extent of the current spam problem, as well as to decide on a remedy.

                  --
                  Joe Bowbeer

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                          That is what needs to be done. Don't moderate posts though. Just moderate new user joins. Since there are moderators across the globe it'll work just fine.

                          Something more than deleting posts needs to be done though (because I get them regardless of you deleting them).

                          If I had time to moderate, I would but I simply don't. Glad you're open to other moderators though.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                            I asked Marco to turn on moderation on new members which mean, we will
                            need to activate their membership.
                            Need to figure out if all moderators will have the ability to activate
                            them.

                            Thanks
                            Alessandro
                          • Paul Andrews
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                              My theory is that if the list had 100 posts a day, people probably wouldn't be bothered by the existing volume of spam.

                              I don't think I'll ever understand why such little spam bothers anyone, particularly when trying to stop it involves making work for others.

                              We're all different I guess and the moderators have reached a good compromise, so hopefully it's solved.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007

                                Just a small trick that I’m using currently. I have a separate email account for mailing lists, and I’m using gmail for its good spam filters. only 1 or 2 spam messages get though per week, which is far better for me.

                                If you are getting bothered with current volume of spam on the list, you can try my trick ;)

                                Best,

                                // chall3ng3r //

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                    On 8/2/07, cisnky wrote:
                                    I think that's the reason why I'm not noticing the spam. I'm using Gmail too.

                                    Why didn't *I* think of that? :-)

                                  • Bruce Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                      Or change to the digest version. Much easier to skim through what's
                                      important and spam is really not an issue.

                                      Bruce
                                    • John C. Bland II
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                        Again, 50% dude. It is constant also. This only waters down the Flash Lite content to where I don't even pay attention to the posts anymore because every other email is spam so I miss some, potentially, good posts.

                                        The "more work" is simply responding to Yahoo!'s email. Email comes in to moderate, hit respond, send, done. That's it. I did it for over a year (before moving to Google groups) so I know it isn't that much work.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 3, 2007
                                              I don't have a lot of spam from this mailing list, though. I have most
                                              spam from my blog at the moment. That's why it's offline ;-)