RE: [FlashLite] Fullscreen video

  • Dale Rankine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007
      Message
      Ahh Stefan, you poor boy, starting to play with video in Flash Lite ...

      Video has been a bug bear of mine of recent times, and more specifically the fact that it's performance (as in it works or doesn't) has been patchy at best and fraught with danger. I know Paul Lamonby was recently asking about changing orientation of video within FL and having no luck. Seems when video comes in and you get the instance of Real Player opening up inside FL, it's very difficult (maybe impossible, I don't know Paul?) to change orientation.

      Be aware that right now it seems that video streams ok from Real Networks Helix server, but not from the just-superseded Vidiator servers. The new Xenon servers don't have as many problems, but there's still much to be done from the encoding side to get it coming into FL as you want.

      Anyway, I digress into my pit of pain ...

      Cheers.

      Dale.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2007
        Ah Dale!

        I was afraid you were going to say that! I am starting to not trust any
        supposed "included feature" anymore.

        Luckily for me the video will be pre-installed with the app, so I won't
        have to jump into that streaming pit of pain yet - you will have to
        suffer by yourself for a little bit longer!

        If all else fails we will have to resort the PNG sequences again which
        actually works pretty OK except for the huge filesizes. I will continue
        on my quest, will let you know how it turns out!

        Stefan

        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Rankine" <dale@...> wrote:

        > Ahh Stefan, you poor boy, starting to play with video in Flash Lite
        >
        > Video has been a bug bear of mine of recent times, and more
        specifically the
        > fact that it's performance (as in it works or doesn't) has been patchy
        at
        > best and fraught with danger. I know Paul Lamonby was recently asking
        about
        > changing orientation of video within FL and having no luck. Seems when
        video
        > comes in and you get the instance of Real Player opening up inside FL,
        it's
        > very difficult (maybe impossible, I don't know Paul?) to change
        orientation.

        > Be aware that right now it seems that video streams ok from Real
        Networks
        > Helix server, but not from the just-superseded Vidiator servers. The
        new
        > Xenon servers don't have as many problems, but there's still much to
        be done
        > from the encoding side to get it coming into FL as you want.
        >
        > Anyway, I digress into my pit of pain ...
        >
        > Cheers.
        >
        > Dale.

        Behalf
        > Of Stefan Wessels
        > Sent: Thursday, 14 June 2007 2:03 PM
        > To: FlashLite@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [FlashLite] Fullscreen video
        >

        > Hi Everyone!
        >
        > Being a bit of a menace today, but full screen video in FL 2.x anyone
        > been able to get that running? Even if the movie plays fullscreen in
        > the native realplayer runtime, when opening it through the Flash Lite
        > player it's seems to display the movie only in portrait mode, I have
        > had some luck in scaling the video, but it's pretty imprecise. In the
        > Flash IDE and emulator you can scale the clip larger than the stage,
        > on a Nokia S60 it doesn't seem to want to go any bigger.
        >
        > I then tried to encode a video as 240x320 in stead of 320x240, but my
        > Realplayer didn't want to display it - it is possible that you need to
        > do some tricks to encode at this aspect ratio?
        >
        > The CDK examples are all in portrait mode and at 176x144 so a bit
        stuck!

        > Previously we have been using PNG image sequences, but would really
        > like to get video working the way it's supposed to!
        >
        > Many thanks in advance!
        >
        > Stefan

      • chall3ng3r
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2007

          Or you can wait for FL3.0. it will support FLV.

          // chall3ng3r //

          I was afraid you were going to say that! I am starting to not trust any
          supposed "included feature" anymore.

          Luckily for me the video will be pre-installed with the app, so I won't
          have to jump into that streaming pit of pain yet - you will have to
          suffer by yourself for a little bit longer!

          If all else fails we will have to resort the PNG sequences again which
          actually works pretty OK except for the huge filesizes. I will continue
          on my quest, will let you know how it turns out!

          Stefan

          --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Rankine" <dale@...> wrote:

          > Ahh Stefan, you poor boy, starting to play with video in Flash Lite
          >
          > Video has been a bug bear of mine of recent times, and more
          specifically the
          > fact that it's performance (as in it works or doesn't) has been patchy
          at
          > best and fraught with danger. I know Paul Lamonby was recently asking
          about
          > changing orientation of video within FL and having no luck. Seems when
          video
          > comes in and you get the instance of Real Player opening up inside FL,
          it's
          > very difficult (maybe impossible, I don't know Paul?) to change
          orientation.

          > Be aware that right now it seems that video streams ok from Real
          Networks
          > Helix server, but not from the just-superseded Vidiator servers. The
          new
          > Xenon servers don't have as many problems, but there's still much to
          be done
          > from the encoding side to get it coming into FL as you want.
          >
          > Anyway, I digress into my pit of pain ...
          >
          > Cheers.
          >
          > Dale.

        • Shannon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2007
            Hi Stefan -

            I may be able to help you with some encoding tips and tricks. We
            recently did some work to create a video player for use in the N70 and
            N73 and spent countless hours nailing down video specs to get it to
            display and scale decently.

            As far as encoding the video goes use the h.264 codec if you are using
            S60 3rd edition phones ( ex. N73, N95 ). This codec will produce
            higher quality video that you'll find scales well. Using QuickTime
            Pro we created .3gp clips from .mov files with the following export
            settings:
            Frame Rate of 10 FPS
            Key framed every 120 frames
            Data Rate of either 64/80/or 96 depending on the .mov size.

            For the N73 we produced a .3gp file with size of 320x240. This scaled
            down nicely on the phone and we were even able to pause/play and get a
            still video image at high quality. For the N70 we couldn't use the
            h.264 codec so we went ahead with a h.263 codec. This produced video
            with pretty low quality (couldn't pause and get a still image at all)
            but was playable for our project.

            Hope some of that helps!

            -shannon