Cost from Verisign for ACS ID - Is this essential?

  • Nick Button
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
      I've started to look at how to build installers for my flash lite
      content.

      I've quickly become frustrated with the necessity to launch flashlite
      player - navigate to and run the swf. This is a ridiculous process.

      The process for creating an installer looks daunting enough,
      (http://www.pocketflash.net/?p=3), but I notice a £185 annual charge
      for Verisign ACS ID.

      There's no way I'm going to pay for that, unless I know I'm going to
      make it back, by selling the games I produce - but I don't think I can
      distribute my stuff as effectively without making this installation and
      execution of the content *really* easy for the end-user.

      Am I wrong in this, and am I alone in my frustration?

      Do I assume that I must simply distribute .swf files, and expansive
      instructions to end users, telling them how to use the swfs?
    • Leonardo Risuleo
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
        hi Nick,

        If it's not necessary for your app to be symbian signed you can follow my tutorial about creating a self-signed launcher (no Publisher id required)

        Leonardo

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
          the means to distribute Flash content, and access content depends upon
          the platform.

          Is there a specific platform you are targeting?

          > I've started to look at how to build installers for my flash lite
          > content.
          >
          > I've quickly become frustrated with the necessity to launch flashlite
          > player - navigate to and run the swf. This is a ridiculous process.
          >
          > The process for creating an installer looks daunting enough,
          > (http://www.pocketflash.net/?p=3), but I notice a £185 annual charge
          > for Verisign ACS ID.
          >
          > There's no way I'm going to pay for that, unless I know I'm going to
          > make it back, by selling the games I produce - but I don't think I can
          > distribute my stuff as effectively without making this installation and
          > execution of the content *really* easy for the end-user.
          >
          > Am I wrong in this, and am I alone in my frustration?
          >
          > Do I assume that I must simply distribute .swf files, and expansive
          > instructions to end users, telling them how to use the swfs?

        • gareth_pocket
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2007
            Hi all

            Leonardo is right, you don't have to have your app symbian signed, however if it isn't
            users have to change their mobiles setting to allow all content to be installed.

            Try explaining that process to the end user and you're already loosing their confidence in
            your product.

            Personally I think it's one massive ball ache, but I'd much rather my content was delivered
            to my target audience with the least fuss possible.

            I've bought a few apps from handango or downloaded from website, and NONE of them
            have been straight forward. One had 23 frikin .swf files in a folder, like I can be bothered
            enough to bluetooth everyone of those into the right structure.

            I know 've been saying this for at least 6 months BUT

            if we offered a signing service (and I mean you send a .swf and an icon and we turn it into
            and symbian signed .sis) how many people would be insterested, and how much would
            you be prepared to pay?

            the bigger the numbers, the more likely it is to happen.

            cheers
            Gareth Evans
            http://www.pocketflash.net
            http://www.pocketmarketing.net

            --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Leonardo Risuleo" <byte.sm@...> wrote:

            > hi Nick,
            >
            > If it's not necessary for your app to be symbian signed you can follow my
            > tutorial about creating a self-signed launcher (no Publisher id required)
            >
            > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/s60_swf_launcher.html
            >
            > Leonardo
            >

            > _____

          • David Williams
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
              I agree Gareth. It is a crazy situation. Ive just had a look at Leonardos page and tried to download Carbide, but I dunno which version or where to go from the link provided.
              I tried the other tutorial on Adobe and it makes a broken sis file.

              I am a Flash developer I know my way round actionscript but not C++ or PHP. And to be quite honest don't realy want to get into these. I'm just a designer with some skill in actionscript. Not a programmer, so this is difficult, and when it goes wrong I dunno where or what to do.

              However, this should be something Adobe sorts out. If the want small programmers to produce stuff for Flash Lite, the whole process should be easy. Designing agame or app is until one exports to swf. After that its a nightmare.

              --
              Regards,
              David WIlliams

              http://www.chatebot.com
              http://www.flashlite4mobile.com
              http://www.freegames.media-fix.co.uk

              News:
              http://www.chatebot.blogspot.com
            • David Williams
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                You know I would be quite happy to pay someone a fair price (whatever that might be) to do this for me. Is there anyone in this group who would offer this service?

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                  I'm really hoping to develop just for mobile phones.
                • Nick Button
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                    1) Interesting offer. I'd suggest posting the service on your website -
                    if you get a lot of response, it would be worth your while - as long as
                    you are covering your time.

                    2) The ideal solution would be an application that handled the whole
                    process. I've seen swf2sis, which has limitations and still needs a lot
                    of other software downloading and installing to get it working (and of
                    course it doesn't support Symbian 3rd Series. I've mailed the
                    developers to find out whether they intend to update their package.

                    3) Are their any companies that produce mobile content that accept
                    submissions? That could be a good way to get your stuff in the market
                    (without seeing as much money for your product obviously).
                  • gareth_pocket
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                      1) I agree, it's something that will either happen in the next month, or not at all.

                      2) Bluesky north, are now part of smashing ideas who have set themselves up as content
                      agregators. Personally I'm suprised they haven't added this as a USP for flash content
                      agregation.

                      The building of the .sis is actually (believe it or not) the easy bit, you then have to
                      phsyically submit the app through symbian signeds website and after a bit of too-ing and
                      fro-ing you get your .sis signed and sealed ready for you to download.

                      3) I've had this idea for a long time, to set up a flash lite app that delivers signed flash lite
                      content. It's not rocket science, but I'm a bit overstretched as it is. The basics are there,
                      you just need a couple of things:

                      a) A Flash Lite container app that shoots of to a database and gets a list of available
                      content.

                      b) C++ tool to read the contents of a folder and write it out to a text / XML file (I'm a big
                      believer in FL1.1) this would enable a Flash Lite container app to show you what content
                      you've already downloaded.

                      c) a payment gateway(s) paypal mobile would really rock with this, premium reverse billing
                      as appauling ie you only get about 50% of what you charge, or even credit card
                      authorisation, which is scary but do-able.

                      d) someone who's bothered enough to set it up and take content from developers and
                      actually PUBLISH the content. I've got an ACD ID and, as far as i understand, I could use it
                      to sign your content and in that way act as a publisher.

                      In an ideal world a Flash Lite Developers Consortium would be a lovely idea, but then
                      communism never really works in practice.

                      If you want to shoot me an email with any questions about the swf3sis tutorial, feel free

                      I must admit the main reason for doing it was to document the process to make it clearer
                      in my mind.

                      cheers
                      Gareth

                      --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Button" <n1ckbutton@...> wrote:

                      > 1) Interesting offer. I'd suggest posting the service on your website -
                      > if you get a lot of response, it would be worth your while - as long as
                      > you are covering your time.
                      >
                      > 2) The ideal solution would be an application that handled the whole
                      > process. I've seen swf2sis, which has limitations and still needs a lot
                      > of other software downloading and installing to get it working (and of
                      > course it doesn't support Symbian 3rd Series. I've mailed the
                      > developers to find out whether they intend to update their package.
                      >
                      > 3) Are their any companies that produce mobile content that accept
                      > submissions? That could be a good way to get your stuff in the market
                      > (without seeing as much money for your product obviously).

                    • Alessandro
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                        Ciao

                        just a note on the topic. Soon there will be news regarding creating
                        sis files for Flash Lite. I cannot say anything yet, but stay tuned.
                        We will also do a presentation for the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices
                        User Group at the end of March.

                        Alessandro

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                          Interesting stuff from Gareth and Alessandro.. The latter sounds like you know something adobe are up to. Is this the case?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                            Gareth I typed out one of my comments before reading what you said about offering the service. As you know I would be interested. However, you would have to price it keenly so as you benefit, but us small guy developers are not paying hundreds for each app. Perhapse you could do a single price, and a batch price. As you are aware I have about 25 games done, so would not want to pay loads for each.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                              Ciao

                              nope! It's from a developer. Don't worry you will not need to wait long!!
                              Alessandro

                              Alessandro Pace
                              Mobile Architect
                              Blog:    www.biskero.org
                              Site:     www.biskero.com
                              Email:  biskero@...
                              Skype: biskero
                              LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/biskero
                              Forum Nokia Champion
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              Manager of the Boston Adobe Mobile and Devices User Group: www.flashmobilegroup.org
                            • Nick Button
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                                > nope! It's from a developer. Don't worry you will not need to wait
                                long!!
                                > Alessandro

                                - That's us on tenterhooks (whatever they are) for a while then!!!!!
                              • Weyert de Boer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 9, 2007
                                  only problem you might encounter is that you cant submit batches of
                                  sis files to testing centres in ease.
                                  not the ones i e-mailed months back, though. I will e-mail them again
                                  and see if anything has changed since last year ;)

                                  yours,
                                  weyert