Download SWF-files to Flash Lite application

  • turfstudios
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
      Hi!

      I'm working on a Flash Lite 2.1 application where we would like to
      download separate SWF-files to the application.

      The idea is to be able to download new content to the application
      (vector based images in SWFs) from a web site or mobile service when
      the user wants to.

      Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this in the smartest way?
      I'm using an Nokia N73.

      Thank you, Andreas
    • outsidemediauk
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007

        I am also currently working on a very similar app.

        so far i have created a swf app on the phone that will have a menu containing the
        available swf's available on the server.

        i then use the loadmovie command to load the external swf into a holder movie clip.

        the problem i have had thus far is that if i load the swf from the server, the variables
        inside it arn't read, preventing navigation.

        this however is not a problem if the swf files are loaded locally from the device or loaded
        externally from the server within the emulator in the flash authoring enviroment.

        I am guessing this is due to secuirty issues within the flashlite player on the handset.

        if anyone can suggest a solution or confirm this it would be a great help

        many thanks

        Matt Pollitt

        Creative Director
        Outside Media Solutions

        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "turfstudios" <andreas@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > I'm working on a Flash Lite 2.1 application where we would like to
        > download separate SWF-files to the application.
        >
        > The idea is to be able to download new content to the application
        > (vector based images in SWFs) from a web site or mobile service when
        > the user wants to.
        >
        > Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this in the smartest way?
        > I'm using an Nokia N73.
        >
        > Thank you, Andreas

      • cisnky
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
          I'm having a guess here, because I've been thinking about the same thing for an app that I'm working on.

          You could probably use getURL;

          The only problem is, you need to make sure the user knows where to save the file once the file has opened.

          Other ideas I've had, using some sort of 3rd party app to handle the download.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
            Are we talking about just a normal loadMovies are content that users can use with your app offline once they have downloaded.

            On 2/8/07, outsidemediauk < matt@...> wrote:

            Hi,

            I am also currently working on a very similar app.

            so far i have created a swf app on the phone that will have a menu containing the
            available swf's available on the server.

            i then use the loadmovie command to load the external swf into a holder movie clip.

            the problem i have had thus far is that if i load the swf from the server, the variables
            inside it arn't read, preventing navigation.

            this however is not a problem if the swf files are loaded locally from the device or loaded
            externally from the server within the emulator in the flash authoring enviroment.

            I am guessing this is due to secuirty issues within the flashlite player on the handset.

            if anyone can suggest a solution or confirm this it would be a great help

            many thanks

            Matt Pollitt

            Creative Director
            Outside Media Solutions

            --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "turfstudios" <andreas@...> wrote:

            > Hi!
            >
            > I'm working on a Flash Lite 2.1 application where we would like to
            > download separate SWF-files to the application.
            >
            > The idea is to be able to download new content to the application
            > (vector based images in SWFs) from a web site or mobile service when
            > the user wants to.
            >
            > Does anyone have an idea of how to solve this in the smartest way?
            > I'm using an Nokia N73.
            >
            > Thank you, Andreas

          • outsidemediauk
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2007
              hi,

              with the app i am curently making, the movies are downloaded from the server each time
              they are accessed due to content being continually updated.

              matt