Re: [FlashLite] shared object

  • Jesse Warden
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
      Well, this example code was supposed to work, but fails to ever fire the onReady function.  Not sure why.  You can copy and paste on frame 1 of an empty FLA.

      function init()
      {
          createTextField("debug_txt", 0, 0, 0, 176, 208);
          debug_txt.multiline = true;
          debug_txt.selectable = false;
          debug_txt.wordWrap = true;
          var fmt:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
          fmt.font = "_sans";
          fmt.size = 9;
          debug_txt.setNewTextFormat(fmt);
          debug_txt.setTextFormat(fmt);
          debug("init");
          debug("isDebugger: " + System.capabilities.isDebugger);
          debug("hasSharedObjects: " + System.capabilities.hasSharedObjects );
          debug("so::maxSize: " + SharedObject.getMaxSize());
          SharedObject.addListener(this, onReady);
          so = SharedObject.getLocal("test");
          so.onStatus = function(o)
          {
              _root.debug("so::onStatus");
              for(var p in o)
              {
                  _root.debug(p + ": " + o[p]);
              }
          };
      }

      function onReady(so:SharedObject)
      {
          debug("onReady");
          if(so.data.test == undefined)
          {
              debug("No data, saving...");
              so.data.test = "moo";
              var r = so.flush();
              debug("flush result: " + r);
          }
          else
          {
              debug("Data there, deleting...");
              so.clear();
          }
      }

      function debug(o)
      {
          debug_txt.text += o + "\n";
          debug_txt.scroll = debug_txt.maxscroll;
      }

      init();

      On 1/5/07, gilkahanagil <gilkahana@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      I would like to ask if there is any way to determine
      when writing to the shared object has been done.
      the process is:
      mySO.data.var1 = var1;
      mySO.data.var2= var2;
      The problem is that it takes a long time and also stop the playhead...
      Thanks,
      Gil

    • Jesse Warden
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
        Oops, fixed, wrong parameter in SharedObject.addListener!

        function init()
        {
            createTextField("debug_txt", 0, 0, 0, 176, 208);
            debug_txt.multiline = true;
            debug_txt.selectable = false;
            debug_txt.wordWrap = true;
            var fmt:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
            fmt.font = "_sans";
            fmt.size = 9;
            debug_txt.setNewTextFormat(fmt);
            debug_txt.setTextFormat(fmt);
            debug("init");
            debug("isDebugger: " + System.capabilities.isDebugger);
            debug("hasSharedObjects: " + System.capabilities.hasSharedObjects);
            debug("so::maxSize: " + SharedObject.getMaxSize ());
            debug("SharedObject.addListener: " + SharedObject.addListener);
            SharedObject.addListener("test", onReady);

        On 1/5/07, Jesse Warden <jesse.warden@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Scott Janousek
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 5, 2007
          Check out Mariam's article on persistent data storage with FL 2.x:

          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/devices/articles/persistent_data.html

          *"Reading and writing shared objects is slow on mobile devices:* It is
          always advisable to use a listener with shared objects. This helps make
          the data available only when it is ready to use. Using data before it is
          prepared generally throws an |undefined| value."

          --
          Scott Janousek

          mobile: 617.840.4427
          work: 617.840.4427
          blog: http://www.scottjanousek.com/blog/
          skype: scottajanousek

          Adobe Flash Lite 1.1 Certified Instructor
          Coauthor, Foundation Flash Applications for Mobile Devices (ISBN: 1590595580)
        • gilkahanagil
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
            Many thanks for this!
            Was not aware you can do so.onstatus...
            Gil

            --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Warden" <jesse.warden@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > }
            > > else
            > > {
            > > debug("Data there, deleting...");
            > > so.clear();
            > > }
            > > }
            > >
            > > function debug(o)
            > > {
            > > debug_txt.text += o + "\n";
            > > debug_txt.scroll = debug_txt.maxscroll;
            > > }
            > >
            > > init();
            > >
            > > On 1/5/07, gilkahanagil <gilkahana@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > > I would like to ask if there is any way to determine
            > > > when writing to the shared object has been done.
            > > > the process is:
            > > > mySO.data.var1 = var1;
            > > > mySO.data.var2= var2;
            > > > The problem is that it takes a long time and also stop the playhead...

          • Anita fn
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
              Is anyone know how do I embed the phone emulator to my web site?
              Where can I get the emulator?Is the emulator free?

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • neo23
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
                yes go on labs.adobe.com and they are giving developers free use  of flash lite player for windows mobile 5.0 and symbian os

                Cheers!
                -N

                Anita fn <anitafn2005@...> wrote:
                Is anyone know how do I embed the phone emulator to my web site?
                Where can I get the emulator?Is the emulator free?
                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                -neo23=D
                'Challenge the Known,
                Embrace the Unknown...'
              • Anita fn

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 11, 2007
                      There is no Flash Lite emulator designed for playback through a web browser on a desktop machine.

                      One possibility for you to do is simply put the SWF movie you have created for Flash Lite into your HTML on your web page.  The Flash player for desktops will play the SWF movies built for Flash Lite.  There are some restrictions however, since all of the code in Flash Lite is not supported on the desktop.  Some examples of code not supported is:

                          -- getURL(sms:) , getURL(tel:)
                          -- any FSCommand2() function (which includes setting the softKeys).
                          -- video playback does not work (the emulator in the Flash IDE uses QuickTime to playback the video)

                      There are a few more things that won't work, but it depends on what you've written.

                      James

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 11, 2007
                        As a follow-up to this question (see the other posts for the full thread), I thought I would point out that if you want to make an emulator to put on a website, you may want to use the graphics of the phones, which can be found as PNG files on your local machine: C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Mobile\Devices  (Sorry, I don't know the location on a Mac.)

                        You could import these graphics into your flash movie and code actions for the buttons.  The load in your Flash Lite SWF, and you've got an emulator.  Just a thought.

                        James
                      • Bryan Rieger
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 11, 2007
                          Hello,

                          As James said there is no real Flash Lite emulator outside of the Flash IDE currently. That said, depending on your content it is possible to create something that provides a reasonably good impression to the end-user. A while back we created a really simple device skin with buttons that we could load in our various Flash Lite apps - a demo can be found here:

                          http://yiibu.com/portfolio/mobile-bubble/pop.html

                          Of course getURL doesn't work inside of the device (simply redirects the entire browser), nor do FS2Commands - however, with a little careful design you can actually begin to emulate some of this behavior within you app (or pass it to the emulator for an elegant and informative fail). It's not easy, but you can get descent results with a little trial and error.

                          If your app uses video, audio (mobile formats especially) you're kinda hosed unless you can provide FLV/SWF video or MP3 replacements that can be swapped out by your application.

                          FYI - after using our 'mobile emulators' for a few weeks/months we've found them to be a blessing and a curse as NOTHING beats demoing the application on an actual device - but the web (we also have a drag/drop desktop version) emulator does help people to grasp the concepts better than simply having a SWF on a page with instructions to use the up/down/left/right and pageup/down keys...

                          Bryan

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 11, 2007
                                Hi Anita,

                                No - sadly I don't believe there is currently a Java applet that can emulate Flash Lite.

                                At one time there were a couple of Java libraries that supported the SWF format (I think even that ungodly creation known as JMF even supported some version of SWF playback), but I believe they ceased development around SWF v2 or v3 - Flash Lite is v4 (FL 1.1) and  v7 (FL 2.x). A quick Google search yielded the following - of with JFlash might be promising in the future - the others are simply J2ME emulators.

                                JFlash - The Pure Java Flash Player
                                https://jflash.dev.java.net/

                                J2ME MicroEmulator - Bartek Teodorczyk
                                http://www.microemu.org/