Keep connection alive

  • sergewebkitchen
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
      Hey guys,

      Just wondering what the best way would be to keep a connection alive until a user exists the
      application. I'm making a traffic application that loads a new map every time you zoom in,
      but if the user waits a few seconds, he needs to make a new connection.

      Serge
    • sergewebkitchen
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
        Ohw... forgot to add that it's Flash lite 1.1
      • Weyert de Boer
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
          You could consider polling every x seconds/frames.

          Yours,
          Weyert de Boer
        • Richard Leggett
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
            Hi Serge,

            It depends on the speed of the connection, but if you poll the server (hit a blank script) every 1 second you should be able to keep the connection open. Play about with the frequency to get the best effect.

            Cheers,
            Rich

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
              Hey Rich,

              Thanks for confirming my initial thought :-)
              I thought there maybe was some other way but I found that improvising is not a bad idea
              when dealing with FL1.1 ;-)

              Serge
            • cisnky
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                Won't all the polling cost the user? On a wi-fi enabled phone it's not much of an issue.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                    Polling works just fine... As long as you set a variable when you're loading something else
                    cause you can't load 2 things at the same time...

                    Warning message is in there before the app starts... At this point, this is only going to be a
                    demo app so no 'real users' will ever use this app... It's a demo for Adobe Belgium to show to
                    their key-clients.
                  • Weyert de Boer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                      Oh, who cares about the costs then ;-) *ducks*
                    • sergewebkitchen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, Weyert de Boer <wdb@...> wrote:

                        > Oh, who cares about the costs then ;-) *ducks*

                        :-)
                      • Denis R5
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006
                          hey
                          i've read a long time ago that polling an empty doc would work just fine and would be costless. but as far as i understand, even if you load an empty document, you do transfer some bits (for routing or so), and it all adds in the end, isn't it?! can anyone confirm that please?

                          cheers
                          dns

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006
                            It all costs money, and it builds up quite rapidly, even when loading only 2 bytes each go (the headers that go with the payload are around 30 bytes for each request). The thing is the cost isn't too much if you are just using it for a few minutes but I wouldn't make a commercial title using this without some proper research on your target audience.

                            In the UK we have 2 of the 4 major operators switching to a broadband-like flat rate fee for data very soon (only 1 confirmed), so you only pay a small fixed fee per month and not on how much data you consume. With this in mind (and the newer WiFi phones on the periphery) the data costs might not be as prohibitive in the near future. On the flip side we are nowhere near ready for a commercial success in this department yet. I was talking to a colleague the other day, he mentioned he had a £1000 phonebill over two months because he was using his phone with his laptop for an Internet connection.

                            This for me is a massive problem until the operators do what was described above. We have 3G everywhere which means you can download at what feels like broadband speeds. Yet 90% of Joe Public are still on a standard £1-4 per Mb downloaded, which is insane when 1Mb downloads in under a minute on a bog standard phone.

                            Oh and good point about making only one call at a time. I've worked on a fully featured multi-user Flash Lite 1.1 polling game before, and the solution was to write an "object/class" (using a MovieClip) which enables you to add requests the the queue, so if no requests are in the queue, then it will just make a dummy poll. The downside here is that the app is less responsive (say 2 seconds lag), but it is the only serious way you can achieve it successfully (the emulator will not show you these problems).

                            Rich