Re: Was: [FlashLite] FL and battery usage - 3G data plan

  • Nick Gerig
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
      yeah it should just be a question of time, although one of the service
      providers has to make the first call.Thats what happened in Japan
      recently, one operator offered flat rate data i.e. unlimited data for a
      reasonable price and the others were forced to follow suit. Its
      inevitable really.

      Richard Leggett wrote:

      > Sounds like a good deal, I know Orange were really pushing their 3G
      > recently, hope competition forces the prices down soon!
      >
      > Cheers Nick

    • Nick Gerig
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
        Ah really ..... damn, thats a shame.

        120 swfs .... u used JSFL right? :)

        JesterXL wrote:

        >I've tried that, it doesn't work. I made 120 SWF's, each with a streaming
        >sound at their specific framerate, made _framerate a watcher, and loaded in
        >the respective movie; for some reason, there is too much overhead and it
        >doesn't seem to work as advertised. Bleh.

      • Nick Gerig
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
          v600i is available on Vodafone now

          the k600i is available but not yet through service providers, should be
          v soon!

          cheers

          Nick
        • JesterXL
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
            I think this was before JSFL, haha!
            http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2003/05/jxl_framerate_c.html

            Link's dead now... no clue where that MXP is. I could dig if you don't
            believe me.

            >I've tried that, it doesn't work. I made 120 SWF's, each with a streaming
            >sound at their specific framerate, made _framerate a watcher, and loaded in
            >the respective movie; for some reason, there is too much overhead and it
            >doesn't seem to work as advertised. Bleh.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Nick Gerig
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
              I believe you! :) .... no JSFL phew ......

              But this got me thinking so I just quickly tested a simple version and
              it worked!!

              see here: http://www.flashcell.com/dev/test/dynamic_fps.zip

              your old example must have been just too much levels or something for
              Flash Lite

              anyway it could be quite useful for Flash Lite dev being able to switch FPS

            • JesterXL
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                Yeah, the fps changes, but does it "work"?

                Meaning, my test was to see if I could speed up animation to 120 (or even
                30) from 10. It looked horrible. Slowing down didn't matter since anything
                below 15 is bleh anyway.

                Try with some animations.

                JesterXL wrote:

                >I think this was before JSFL, haha!
                >http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2003/05/jxl_framerate_c.html
                >
                >Link's dead now... no clue where that MXP is. I could dig if you don't
                >believe me.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Richard Leggett
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                  I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                  love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                  Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                  handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                  I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                  jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                • Nick Gerig
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                    ah ok ... i see what u mean now.

                    But thats cool for FL because u'd be lucky to get much over 15 fps
                    anyway no matter what u did.

                    So you could use it for battery presevation measures in FL assuming the
                    stream itself doesnt take much battery power.

                    anyway ....

                  • JesterXL
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                      Bullet-time!? LOL!!!!

                      I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                      love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                      Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                      handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                      I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                      jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Scott Janousek
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                        speaking of performance ...

                        ... didn't I just read there is a project to port doom 3 to cell? Obviously it'll be scaled down and different,
                        but still gives thought ... and I received my nvidia prospectus recently ... where I noticed they are starting to target
                        the cell market ...

                        Who knows, maybe 3d chips will make it into cells faster than we all think? Ha! I bet
                        those would be expensive ... :)

                        ... but by that time we should have at least FL 2 (if not 3 or 4) ... and PDA's would probably be supplanted by
                        "super" cells.

                        Just some crazy thoughts.

                        -sj

                        On 7/4/05, JesterXL <jesterxl@...> wrote:
                        Bullet-time!?  LOL!!!!

                        I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                        love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                        Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                        handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                        I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                        jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      • JesterXL
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                          Not crazy at all.

                          First:

                          Second, the Gameboy DS is small as heck, but man, the 3D on that thing is great!

                          I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                          love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                          Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                          handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                          I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                          jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • Scott Janousek

                            I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                            love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                            Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                            handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                            I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                            jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • Justin Everett-Church
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                              Message

                              For most of my stuff I set the frame rate to 20 FPS, hoping to get about 10-13 FPS actually.  On my 6620 running nothing but the CDK frame rate script, I can’t get above 18FPS.  I haven’t tried it on my 6680 yet though.

                              Justin

                              ___
                              Justin Everett-Church
                              Rich Media Evangelist
                              justin@... (new email!)

                              Just wondering what are people's general experience is with FL using up the battery on their handsets? It seems to chew through my 6600 pretty quickly ... not sure if it's just my battery or if FL is particularly heavy on power resources at the moment.

                              Perhaps power management is something to be investigated in the FL2.0 beta?

                              Cheers.

                              Dale.

                              DALE RANKINE
                              Managing Director | Macromedia Certified Flash MX Developer

                              PO Box 2383 Brookside Centre QLD 4053
                              P/F: (07) 3353 0436  |   M: 0422 388 897
                              www.drdinteractive.com.au  |   www.moket.com.au
                              Skype: drdinteractive
                              ABN: 39 901 778 459

                              This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the office of DRD Interactive / Moket. No warranty is given that this message upon its receipt is virus free and no liability is accepted by the sender in this respect. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and are not necessarily those of DRD Interactive / Moket or associated companies.

                            • Naz
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                                My N-Gage runs 16fps with the speedometer that was included in the FL
                                CDK, but with actual load, I'm lucky to get 12FPS consistently on my
                                N-Gage with the apps I run.

                                Anyway, to business:

                                I built an app that plays event sounds.

                                Thing is, on the phone, the sounds seem to get cut off before they
                                end.

                                Any of you other guys experience this?

                                -Carlos Nazareno
                                http://www.object404.com
                              • Scott Janousek
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 7, 2005
                                  nokia 3660 for sale, $150, FL 1.1 capable phone

                                  I have just upgraded to a new phone ... thus I have a spare nokia 3660 that is for sale. $150 and it's yours (I think I paid $300 new).

                                  I believe I can dig up the box, manual as well ... but the manual should be online. It's in excellent condition since I've always used it
                                  inside a custom kestrell leather holder (which is included) ... white in color. No dead pixels, and no real scratches on it. Battery
                                  life is decent as well. Comes with charger, you supply the sim card. I used it with t-mobile. Check with your carrier just to make sure
                                  it is supported on your network.

                                  Send me an email if interested.

                                  -sj