Re: [FlashLite] FL and battery usage

  • JesterXL
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
      I've tried that, it doesn't work. I made 120 SWF's, each with a streaming
      sound at their specific framerate, made _framerate a watcher, and loaded in
      the respective movie; for some reason, there is too much overhead and it
      doesn't seem to work as advertised. Bleh.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
        yeah it should just be a question of time, although one of the service
        providers has to make the first call.Thats what happened in Japan
        recently, one operator offered flat rate data i.e. unlimited data for a
        reasonable price and the others were forced to follow suit. Its
        inevitable really.

        Richard Leggett wrote:

        > Sounds like a good deal, I know Orange were really pushing their 3G
        > recently, hope competition forces the prices down soon!
        >
        > Cheers Nick

      • Nick Gerig
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
          Ah really ..... damn, thats a shame.

          120 swfs .... u used JSFL right? :)

          JesterXL wrote:

          >I've tried that, it doesn't work. I made 120 SWF's, each with a streaming
          >sound at their specific framerate, made _framerate a watcher, and loaded in
          >the respective movie; for some reason, there is too much overhead and it
          >doesn't seem to work as advertised. Bleh.

        • Nick Gerig
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
            v600i is available on Vodafone now

            the k600i is available but not yet through service providers, should be
            v soon!

            cheers

            Nick
          • JesterXL
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
              I think this was before JSFL, haha!
              http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2003/05/jxl_framerate_c.html

              Link's dead now... no clue where that MXP is. I could dig if you don't
              believe me.

              >I've tried that, it doesn't work. I made 120 SWF's, each with a streaming
              >sound at their specific framerate, made _framerate a watcher, and loaded in
              >the respective movie; for some reason, there is too much overhead and it
              >doesn't seem to work as advertised. Bleh.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Nick Gerig
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                I believe you! :) .... no JSFL phew ......

                But this got me thinking so I just quickly tested a simple version and
                it worked!!

                see here: http://www.flashcell.com/dev/test/dynamic_fps.zip

                your old example must have been just too much levels or something for
                Flash Lite

                anyway it could be quite useful for Flash Lite dev being able to switch FPS

              • JesterXL
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                  Yeah, the fps changes, but does it "work"?

                  Meaning, my test was to see if I could speed up animation to 120 (or even
                  30) from 10. It looked horrible. Slowing down didn't matter since anything
                  below 15 is bleh anyway.

                  Try with some animations.

                  JesterXL wrote:

                  >I think this was before JSFL, haha!
                  >http://www.jessewarden.com/archives/2003/05/jxl_framerate_c.html
                  >
                  >Link's dead now... no clue where that MXP is. I could dig if you don't
                  >believe me.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Richard Leggett
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                    I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                    love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                    Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                    handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                    I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                    jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                  • Nick Gerig
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                      ah ok ... i see what u mean now.

                      But thats cool for FL because u'd be lucky to get much over 15 fps
                      anyway no matter what u did.

                      So you could use it for battery presevation measures in FL assuming the
                      stream itself doesnt take much battery power.

                      anyway ....

                    • JesterXL
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                        Bullet-time!? LOL!!!!

                        I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                        love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                        Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                        handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                        I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                        jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Scott Janousek
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                          speaking of performance ...

                          ... didn't I just read there is a project to port doom 3 to cell? Obviously it'll be scaled down and different,
                          but still gives thought ... and I received my nvidia prospectus recently ... where I noticed they are starting to target
                          the cell market ...

                          Who knows, maybe 3d chips will make it into cells faster than we all think? Ha! I bet
                          those would be expensive ... :)

                          ... but by that time we should have at least FL 2 (if not 3 or 4) ... and PDA's would probably be supplanted by
                          "super" cells.

                          Just some crazy thoughts.

                          -sj

                          On 7/4/05, JesterXL <jesterxl@...> wrote:
                          Bullet-time!?  LOL!!!!

                          I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                          love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                          Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                          handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                          I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                          jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        • JesterXL
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                            Not crazy at all.

                            First:

                            Second, the Gameboy DS is small as heck, but man, the 3D on that thing is great!

                            I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                            love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                            Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                            handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                            I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                            jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • Scott Janousek

                              I don't think we can get anything over 30 FPS on current handsets, would
                              love to see how the k600i performs when it gets reviewed ;)

                              Moock's adapted FPS speedometer from the CDK is set to run at 30FPS, on my
                              handset it reads (at most) 15FPS, and that's without too much going on. :(

                              I guess this means bullet-time via FPS change in an FL game will be very
                              jerky! Still, would be cool to try it.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            • Justin Everett-Church
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                                Message

                                For most of my stuff I set the frame rate to 20 FPS, hoping to get about 10-13 FPS actually.  On my 6620 running nothing but the CDK frame rate script, I can’t get above 18FPS.  I haven’t tried it on my 6680 yet though.

                                Justin

                                ___
                                Justin Everett-Church
                                Rich Media Evangelist
                                justin@... (new email!)

                                Just wondering what are people's general experience is with FL using up the battery on their handsets? It seems to chew through my 6600 pretty quickly ... not sure if it's just my battery or if FL is particularly heavy on power resources at the moment.

                                Perhaps power management is something to be investigated in the FL2.0 beta?

                                Cheers.

                                Dale.

                                DALE RANKINE
                                Managing Director | Macromedia Certified Flash MX Developer

                                PO Box 2383 Brookside Centre QLD 4053
                                P/F: (07) 3353 0436  |   M: 0422 388 897
                                www.drdinteractive.com.au  |   www.moket.com.au
                                Skype: drdinteractive
                                ABN: 39 901 778 459

                                This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify the office of DRD Interactive / Moket. No warranty is given that this message upon its receipt is virus free and no liability is accepted by the sender in this respect. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and are not necessarily those of DRD Interactive / Moket or associated companies.

                              • Naz
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 4, 2005
                                  My N-Gage runs 16fps with the speedometer that was included in the FL
                                  CDK, but with actual load, I'm lucky to get 12FPS consistently on my
                                  N-Gage with the apps I run.

                                  Anyway, to business:

                                  I built an app that plays event sounds.

                                  Thing is, on the phone, the sounds seem to get cut off before they
                                  end.

                                  Any of you other guys experience this?

                                  -Carlos Nazareno
                                  http://www.object404.com
                                • Scott Janousek
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 7, 2005
                                    nokia 3660 for sale, $150, FL 1.1 capable phone

                                    I have just upgraded to a new phone ... thus I have a spare nokia 3660 that is for sale. $150 and it's yours (I think I paid $300 new).

                                    I believe I can dig up the box, manual as well ... but the manual should be online. It's in excellent condition since I've always used it
                                    inside a custom kestrell leather holder (which is included) ... white in color. No dead pixels, and no real scratches on it. Battery
                                    life is decent as well. Comes with charger, you supply the sim card. I used it with t-mobile. Check with your carrier just to make sure
                                    it is supported on your network.

                                    Send me an email if interested.

                                    -sj