launching video player

  • D_C
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2006
      from flashlite 1.1 ... so no embedded video :(

      has anyone done this from flashlite? is there an fscommand2 ?
      how abuot if you launch a video file directly, will this in turn open
      the video player?

      not sure how to do this, but possibly something like

      FSCommand2("fileopen", "D:/path/to/somefile.mpg"

      if doing this, is flashlite exited, or just goes to background?

      then, when the user Quits the video player, is there a way to have
      flashlite come back on top?

      tx!
      David "DC" Collier

      dc@...
      skype: callto://d3ntaku
      http://www.pikkle.com
      +81 (0)80 6521 9559

      http://charajam.com 【★キャラ♪ジャム★】
      人気キャラとJ-POP最新ヒット曲を自分で組み合わせて
      待受Flashや着Flashを作っちゃおう!
    • Scott Janousek
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2006

        Hi DC,

        There are a few methods under 1.1. Unfortunately, not all of them are “foolproof” for 1.1.

        However, depending on your situation (target device(s)) you could:

        1. Simulate the video. Basically embed a static sequence of optimized .jpg’s within a movieclip. The good thing about this is that it

        this will work across all (1.1) devices. Of course, this is not real video. Sound might be difficult if it has to be synched here. You could externalize the static clips into .swfs

        and then load in if you wanted to simulate “external file video”.

        1. If the device does in fact have a video player (for example on a nokia device it is typically the Real MediaPlayer) …  figure out the path to it (use FEExplorer or similar OS level file explorer). Then use a command such as:

        //-- launch the device video player with a file specified (your path and application may vary!)

        fscommand( "Launch", "Z:\\System\\Apps\\MediaPlayer\\MediaPlayer.app,E:\\Videos\\sample1.3gp" );

        to launch the video. You’ll need to get the path exact, as errors will sometimes be suppressed by the device. I recommend, just starting with:

        //-- run this test to find what path launches your media player (Use FEExplorer to determine this)

        fscommand( "Launch", "Z:\\system\\apps\\MediaPlayer\\MediaPlayer.app" );

        and then add in the parameter for the file. Build it up incrementally. This way, you can determine if the player is actually launching, and then proceed to adding

        the file to load. Be sure the path and syntax is correct, or it may fail silently.

        1. Use a getURL and hope the file type maps to the video format you target:

                   //-- using an absolute path to load a local video

                   getURL( "file://C:/Videos/sample1.3gp" ); //--- absolute path to video file

        Typically, this should work. However, you’ll need to test on the target device.

        2 & 3 will spawn a new modal window with the player, Flash Lite content will suspend while it runs the external app. One exited, the flash app should still be available in the background.

        With 1, you have a bit more control, but you’ll need to optimize the jpg’s, and do significant testing to make sure playback quality is there.

        Error handling or event codes are not at all possible within 1.1 … however with Flash Lite 2, certain devices do return status event codes. You were talking about 1.1, so

        I’ll keep that info for another post.

        I can send you some 1.1 examples if you want. Email me directly.

        -sj

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2006
          Just a quick addition to Scott's examples:

               getURL( "file://C:/Videos/sample1.3gp" ); //--- absolute path to video file

          I'm pretty sure the triple slash is required (but you might find it works without it):

               getURL( "file:///C:/Videos/sample1.3gp" ); //--- absolute path to video file

          Hey the new style Yahoo group messages are much better!

          Rich

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 7, 2006

            I’ve never had a problem without triple slashes notation (on nokia devices)  … but it might be something that is OS specific. Consult your device docs if you have issues … or just store

            the videos relative  to the .swf to avoid the issue altogether.

            -sj