Re: U10 and Text Files

  • CE
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      Thanks Hayden,

      I'll make a new test file tonight and give it a whirl - you have given
      me the idea I might not have set the correct path to the movie into
      which I tried to load the variables. If I'm still confused I will post
      the code as I have it and see what everyone thinks.

      Just to make sure 'though - can anyone confirm that loadVariables
      works on the u10. Again the info I'm gathering is a bit contradictory.

      CE

      --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Hayden Porter" <hayden@...> wrote:

      > >BUT, I can't get a text file
      > > to load variables at runtime. I've tried about every combination I can
      > > think of - so I'm not sure if it works.
      >
      > does loadMovie() work? If not then loadVariables may not work either.
      >
      > Can you post your code for loading the text file?
      >
      > Do you have a frame loop to repeatedly check to see if the text file
      > has loaded?
      >
      > If not...
      >
      > Make a simple text file with no line breaks
      >
      > ----------
      > 1=0&v=hello&l=1
      > ----------
      >
      > // frame 1
      > l=v=""; // clear variables from text file
      > loadVariables("textfilename.txt","/"); // load text file vars into root
      >
      > // frame 2
      > if(l eq "" || l == 0){
      > trace("loading text file");

      > } else {
      > trace("text file loaded - " add v); // print v from text file
      > }
      >
      > // frame 3
      > gotoAndPlay(2); // loop back

    • CE
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
        Well I can confirm that I can't get it to work.

        I'm sorry I don't have a test file to post at this time but I built
        the exact movie you suggested and it works in the emulator but not on
        the u10. LoadMovie also does not seem to function. It might be a wierd
        absolute path thing (the CDK hinted at such)

        Can anyone tell me whether they can get loadMovie or loadVariables or
        loadMovieNum or loadVariablesNum to function on an iRiver u10??

        Again the English translation of the CDK makes me think it will, but I
        just can't seem to get it to work.

        Thanks everyone for your help,

        CE

        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "CE" <ce@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Hayden,
        >
        > I'll make a new test file tonight and give it a whirl - you have given
        > me the idea I might not have set the correct path to the movie into
        > which I tried to load the variables. If I'm still confused I will post
        > the code as I have it and see what everyone thinks.
        >
        > Just to make sure 'though - can anyone confirm that loadVariables
        > works on the u10. Again the info I'm gathering is a bit contradictory.
        >
        > CE
        >
        > --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Hayden Porter" <hayden@> wrote:
        > >
        > > >BUT, I can't get a text file
        > > > to load variables at runtime. I've tried about every combination
        I can
        > > > think of - so I'm not sure if it works.
        > >
        > > does loadMovie() work? If not then loadVariables may not work either.
        > >
        > > Can you post your code for loading the text file?
        > >
        > > Do you have a frame loop to repeatedly check to see if the text file
        > > has loaded?
        > >
        > > If not...
        > >
        > > Make a simple text file with no line breaks
        > >
        > > ----------
        > > 1=0&v=hello&l=1
        > > ----------
        > >
        > > // frame 1
        > > l=v=""; // clear variables from text file
        > > loadVariables("textfilename.txt","/"); // load text file vars
        into root

        > > // frame 2
        > > if(l eq "" || l == 0){
        > > trace("loading text file");
        >
        > > } else {
        > > trace("text file loaded - " add v); // print v from text file
        > > }
        > >
        > > // frame 3
        > > gotoAndPlay(2); // loop back

      • Scott Janousek
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
          Sample attached. Store your files under /Data/ ... which acts as "root". (see screenshot in zip). Case sensitivity also applies.

          Examples:

          loadMovie( "file://loadswf.swf", "/image_mc" );

          loadVariables( "file://loadvariables.txt", "/text_mc" );

          Both of these would load from /Data/ since that acts as "root" of the device.

          ---

          File Path:

          To use the file stored in U10, you have to use the absolute path. All the paths should be created
          with UTF-8, and U10 will distinguish upper-case words and lower-case words. For example, in case
          u10_image.jpg file is located in the Photo folder, the path to this image will be
          file://Photo/u10_image.jpg. In order for a Flash content to load U10_image.jpg, the function should
          be executed as loadMovie("file://Photo/u10_image.jpg", "/loadMC").
          ---

          -sj

          Yahoo! Groups Links

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • CE
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
            Scott

            WAY TO GO!

            That was my problem, I had omitted "file:" --- It was of course
            right there in front of me, but the translated CDK and my extreme
            lack of understanding combined to create a big stumbling block.

            Thanks Scott and Hayden very much for your assistance -

            External Data! What a Rush!

            Thanks,

            CE