Re: U10 and Text Files

  • CE
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Devin Cheevers" <devin@...> wrote:

      > are you using flash lite 1.1 or 2.0?

      Flash Lite 1.1 - the loadVariables command works in all the emulators
      (none available for u10) just not when I run the app on the u10.

      Gee it's nice to get my message posted - even better a response!
    • CE
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks Hayden,

        I'll make a new test file tonight and give it a whirl - you have given
        me the idea I might not have set the correct path to the movie into
        which I tried to load the variables. If I'm still confused I will post
        the code as I have it and see what everyone thinks.

        Just to make sure 'though - can anyone confirm that loadVariables
        works on the u10. Again the info I'm gathering is a bit contradictory.

        CE

        --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Hayden Porter" <hayden@...> wrote:

        > >BUT, I can't get a text file
        > > to load variables at runtime. I've tried about every combination I can
        > > think of - so I'm not sure if it works.
        >
        > does loadMovie() work? If not then loadVariables may not work either.
        >
        > Can you post your code for loading the text file?
        >
        > Do you have a frame loop to repeatedly check to see if the text file
        > has loaded?
        >
        > If not...
        >
        > Make a simple text file with no line breaks
        >
        > ----------
        > 1=0&v=hello&l=1
        > ----------
        >
        > // frame 1
        > l=v=""; // clear variables from text file
        > loadVariables("textfilename.txt","/"); // load text file vars into root
        >
        > // frame 2
        > if(l eq "" || l == 0){
        > trace("loading text file");

        > } else {
        > trace("text file loaded - " add v); // print v from text file
        > }
        >
        > // frame 3
        > gotoAndPlay(2); // loop back

      • CE
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
          Well I can confirm that I can't get it to work.

          I'm sorry I don't have a test file to post at this time but I built
          the exact movie you suggested and it works in the emulator but not on
          the u10. LoadMovie also does not seem to function. It might be a wierd
          absolute path thing (the CDK hinted at such)

          Can anyone tell me whether they can get loadMovie or loadVariables or
          loadMovieNum or loadVariablesNum to function on an iRiver u10??

          Again the English translation of the CDK makes me think it will, but I
          just can't seem to get it to work.

          Thanks everyone for your help,

          CE

          --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "CE" <ce@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Hayden,
          >
          > I'll make a new test file tonight and give it a whirl - you have given
          > me the idea I might not have set the correct path to the movie into
          > which I tried to load the variables. If I'm still confused I will post
          > the code as I have it and see what everyone thinks.
          >
          > Just to make sure 'though - can anyone confirm that loadVariables
          > works on the u10. Again the info I'm gathering is a bit contradictory.
          >
          > CE
          >
          > --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, "Hayden Porter" <hayden@> wrote:
          > >
          > > >BUT, I can't get a text file
          > > > to load variables at runtime. I've tried about every combination
          I can
          > > > think of - so I'm not sure if it works.
          > >
          > > does loadMovie() work? If not then loadVariables may not work either.
          > >
          > > Can you post your code for loading the text file?
          > >
          > > Do you have a frame loop to repeatedly check to see if the text file
          > > has loaded?
          > >
          > > If not...
          > >
          > > Make a simple text file with no line breaks
          > >
          > > ----------
          > > 1=0&v=hello&l=1
          > > ----------
          > >
          > > // frame 1
          > > l=v=""; // clear variables from text file
          > > loadVariables("textfilename.txt","/"); // load text file vars
          into root

          > > // frame 2
          > > if(l eq "" || l == 0){
          > > trace("loading text file");
          >
          > > } else {
          > > trace("text file loaded - " add v); // print v from text file
          > > }
          > >
          > > // frame 3
          > > gotoAndPlay(2); // loop back

        • Scott Janousek
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2006
            Sample attached. Store your files under /Data/ ... which acts as "root". (see screenshot in zip). Case sensitivity also applies.

            Examples:

            loadMovie( "file://loadswf.swf", "/image_mc" );

            loadVariables( "file://loadvariables.txt", "/text_mc" );

            Both of these would load from /Data/ since that acts as "root" of the device.

            ---

            File Path:

            To use the file stored in U10, you have to use the absolute path. All the paths should be created
            with UTF-8, and U10 will distinguish upper-case words and lower-case words. For example, in case
            u10_image.jpg file is located in the Photo folder, the path to this image will be
            file://Photo/u10_image.jpg. In order for a Flash content to load U10_image.jpg, the function should
            be executed as loadMovie("file://Photo/u10_image.jpg", "/loadMC").
            ---

            -sj

            Yahoo! Groups Links

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • CE
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2006
              Scott

              WAY TO GO!

              That was my problem, I had omitted "file:" --- It was of course
              right there in front of me, but the translated CDK and my extreme
              lack of understanding combined to create a big stumbling block.

              Thanks Scott and Hayden very much for your assistance -

              External Data! What a Rush!

              Thanks,

              CE