Re: [FlashLite] Flash Lite packging

  • David Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
      I know its a problem, In just passing over swfs to my customers now and trying to explaine where they should install. The swf2sis files have a bug that I have come across. It asks to replace files already installed even though they have unique numbers. It said something about version number. I had thought to just give each app a unique version number but Richard Leggett sent me over a file to try out and that wanted to over write one of my own pervious installs vis swf2sis. Therefore I can see this happening big time if we all start using this, resulting in lots of complaints.

      I'll email the company who produce it and tell them

      On 01/12/05, Alessandro <biskero@...> wrote:
      Ciao,

      Does anyone know how to create packging for Sony Ericsson phones?
      So, for Nokia we can use Symbian SIS packging but for other phones
      what we can use ? Any ideas ?

      Alessandro

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --

      David WIlliams
      http://www.chatebot.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi David,

        There is a huge range of development numbers so the odds of using the same one is pretty small so I think I was just lazy and picked the 0x00000000000 which I should have changed, however... if you get the app Symbian signed you will be provided with a completely unique number which will not conflict with any other app.

        You can get things Symbian signed for free if the app is going to be freeware, for commercial apps you'll have to take a cut of the profit in the signing process.

        Cheers,
        Richard

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
          The thing is, there's no standalone, so it doesn't really make sense to package it up as an app/game anyway, instead I'd point them to a URL to download the game. But afaik, the only way would be to package up as a JAR/JAD combo and install as a Java application. Although I've had issues trying to get a Java midlet to launch a SWF with the native recognizer (or web browser in this case), I'm sure it is possible.

          Richard

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
            Hi Alessandro,

            I'm not really sure if this will help...but several months ago, when I was packing my first SIS file I came accross one *.pkg file with instructions...I'm not sure from where I picked it up...but this is a part of the code that is in that *.pkg:

            <paste>
            ; UID - replace the 0x0100000 with your own UID.
            ; You can also change "Flash Lite Content" to whatever you like.

            #{"Flash Lite Content"},(0x00000000),1,0,0,TYPE=SISOPTION

            ; You should chose one of the following compatible product ID lines or the installer will say that the package may not be compatible with your device. Series60 is for all of the Nokia phones and the Siemens SX1. UIQ2.0 is for The P800 and P900.

            ;Supports Series 60 v 1.0 or later
            ;To create a Series60 package, remove the ; from the following line.
            (0x101F795F), 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

            ;Supports UIQ 2.0
            ;TO create a UIQ package, remove the ; from the following line.
            ;(0x101F617B), 2, 0, 0, {"UIQ20ProductID"}
            .
            .
            .
            </paste>

            So, if you want to make a installer for UIQ, just comment first Series60ProductID and uncomment UIQ20ProductID.
            If you want, I can send you the complete *.pkg..in the rest of the file there are only content paths and so on...

            Regards,
            Alen

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                Oh, sorry David I didn't grip the full situation; that it very suprising. I think I'll run some tests now to see what the problem is :)

                Richard

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Brill:) Let me know if you sort it. I sent this customer three different sis files with three different numbers to try to get round this. I was baffled till he said it was version number. Then next day you sent me that file you wanted me to test and I had the same message about version1 replacing version 1

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                      What's really weird is that file I sent you, I installed again on the same handset, same version number and it didn't give that message. Ok, if Alen is on here also, any info on stripping pkg from SIS? I'm sure I was seeing PKG files before... weird.

                      Get back to you if I find anything in the mean time, cheers,

                      Rich

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                        Hi David,

                        Didn't want to hijack that thread so I'm splitting it here. Ok I've ran some tests, and I just need to check. The UIDs you've used are definitely in the range 0x00000000 to 0x0FFFFFFF? I think I had an extra 0 in the file I sent you.

                        If so I've delved into the SIS files output by SWF2SIS and found the following information:

                          File 1 pano.sis: (UID chosen 0x00001111)
                          _________________________________
                          App UID: 1111h
                          App UID1: 10003A12h
                          App UID2: 10000419h

                          File 2 duplicate.sis: (UID chosen 0x00002222)
                          _________________________________
                          App UID: 2222h
                          App UID1: 10003A12h
                          App UID2: 10000419h

                        Ok so as you can see, the UIDs are indeed unique, so that should mean the installation should not have any problems unless we were very unlucky and picked the same number between 0 and 268435455. :) Ok with that in mind I'm not totally sure what these UID1 and UID2 values are for, together they are used to make a checksum, but as you can see they are the same for both SIS files. This page contains more info on these values:

                        It states there that the UID1 value is used to uniquely identify the app on a system level, perhaps this is causing the confusion, although I'm just a Flasher and not a Symbian whizz so I'd better leave this information to someone who can make use of it.

                        Cheers,
                        Richard

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                            Ok I'm getting a UID of:

                            0x7FFFFFFF

                            For both of those files which would explain the overwrite. That is a Symbian VendorID, the real number should be in the range 0x30000000  - 0x6FFFFFFF I believe. So two things might have happened:

                            1. SWF2SIS used the wrong UID (not so sure about this as it hasn't failed me yet).
                            2. The wrong UID was input (maybe that too many characters were input, instead of 0x12345678 characters, the app rounded it to the above UID).

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                              I could be wrong about this, but I was under the impression that when
                              you request a block of UIDs from Symbian, they are allocated for your
                              use only, whether or not you get your app signed - at least, it doesn't
                              seem right to be calling them "Unique IDs" if they're not really unique!

                              But even if the two apps have different IDs, I'm not sure how the
                              installation process should handle a situation where the second app is
                              trying to install a file to the same location as the first app, which
                              sounds like what's happening to David. Presumably, it's only a problem
                              if two different apps coincidentally select the same folder and
                              filenames, if I understand the problem.

                              If I don't, you can just ignore this! :)

                              Darren

                              Richard Leggett wrote:
                              > Hi David,
                              >
                              > There is a huge range of development numbers so the odds of using the
                              > same one is pretty small so I think I was just lazy and picked the
                              > 0x00000000000 which I should have changed, however... if you get the app
                              > Symbian signed you will be provided with a completely unique number
                              > which will not conflict with any other app.
                              >
                              > You can get things Symbian signed for free if the app is going to be
                              > freeware, for commercial apps you'll have to take a cut of the profit in
                              > the signing process.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Richard

                            • Alen Alebic
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                                Just to make a small input...when you enter your UID number in SWF2SIS it should be in format: 0x12345678 (not just 12345678)...

                                Maybe this helps..

                                Regards,
                                Alen

[...]

                                http://www.nod32.com
                              • Richard Leggett
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  Hey Darren,

                                  I'm pretty sure we've worked out the situation with David, just waiting on him to see if that is the case (same UID for different SIS files). What you are saying about the UID ranges makes sense, although UID's less than 0x7FFFFFFF (the UID used in David's apps) are in the protected range and only for use with Signed apps.

                                  As for installing a file to the same location, I think the settings allow for overwrite or user prompting, either way the app's files are installed to a directory with the same name as your UID so as long as you stick to that odds are it will be fine. Although some apps do install to other directories, the Flash Player for example which adds files to several folders.

                                  There are changes to the UID ranges as of Symbian OS v9 to be aware of, details on symbiansigned.com.

                                  Fingers crossed this UID will be resolved shortly though! :)

                                  Rich

                                  Richard Leggett wrote:
                                  > Hi
                                  David,

                                  > There is a huge range of development numbers so
                                  the odds of using the
                                  > same one is pretty small so I think I was just
                                  lazy and picked the
                                  > 0x00000000000 which I should have changed,
                                  however... if you get the app
                                  > Symbian signed you will be provided with
                                  a completely unique number
                                  > which will not conflict with any other
                                  app.

                                  > You can get things Symbian signed for free if the
                                  app is going to be
                                  > freeware, for commercial apps you'll have to take a
                                  cut of the profit in
                                  > the signing process.

                                  Cheers,
                                  > Richard

                                  > I know its a problem, In just passing over
                                  swfs to my customers now and
                                  > trying to explaine where they should
                                  install. The swf2sis files have a
                                  > bug that I have come across. It asks
                                  to replace files already installed
                                  > even though they have unique
                                  numbers. It said something about version
                                  > number. I had thought to just
                                  give each app a unique version number but
                                  > Richard Leggett sent me over
                                  a file to try out and that wanted to over
                                  > write one of my own pervious
                                  installs vis swf2sis. Therefore I can see
                                  > this happening big time if we
                                  all start using this, resulting in lots of
                                  > complaints.

                                  > I'll email the company who produce it and tell them
                                  >

                                  > On 01/12/05, *Alessandro* <biskero@...
                                  <mailto:biskero@...>>
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  >     Ciao,

                                  Does anyone know how to create packging for Sony Ericsson phones?
                                  >     So, for Nokia we can use Symbian SIS
                                  packging but for other phones
                                  >     what we can use ?
                                  Any ideas ?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 1, 2005
                                    Ciao guys,

                                    The UID are unique, and can be requested from Symbian.
                                    they will give you a block of 10.
                                    As far as the swf2sis I had no issues with UIDs.

                                    It's important that people understand that they will need to request a UID from Symbian to be able to distribute
                                    a SIS file,

                                    For David issue, not sure, you can use the Unsis utility to see what the swf2sis creates.
                                    When you unpackage there will be some files with the UID as filename. Just a test for debugging.
                                    Alessandro

                                    On 12/1/05, Alen Alebic <alen@...> wrote:
[...]

                                    Macromedia flash tutorials Macromedia flash mx 2004 Learn macromedia flash

                                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  • David Williams

                                      Richard Leggett wrote:
                                      > Hi David,

                                      > There is a huge range of development numbers so the odds of using the
                                      > same one is pretty small so I think I was just lazy and picked the
                                      > 0x00000000000 which I should have changed, however... if you get the app
                                      > Symbian signed you will be provided with a completely unique number
                                      > which will not conflict with any other app.

                                      > You can get things Symbian signed for free if the app is going to be
                                      > freeware, for commercial apps you'll have to take a cut of the profit in
                                      > the signing process.

                                      > Cheers,
                                      > Richard

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS