Using GPS and Bluetooth

  • Devin Cheevers
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi all,

      GPS = Global Positioning Satellite

      I have just seen an ad on e-bay for a Nokia 6600 with a FZ bluetooth
      GPS unit, which got me thinking about using GPS and or bluetooth for
      location based interaction with a flash application.

      Does any one know if there is a app out there that lets flash interact
      with gps on a cell(mobile) phone?

      I know it has been done in the invisible ideas project -
      http://www.invisibleideas.org/ uses pocket pc's and flash - with
      Matthew Perry from Macromedia, who wrote a c++ program that acts as
      the middle man between the gps data and the flash.

      Secondly is it possible for a flash lite app on a phone to detect when
      it is receiving a bluetooth signal and download data automatically, eg
      for use in targeted advertising like in "Miniority Report" for thoose
      of you who have seen this movie.

      Thanks guys.

      Dev
    • Richard Leggett
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2005
        Hi Devin,

        Secondly is it possible for a flash lite app on a phone to detect when it is receiving a bluetooth signal and download data automatically, eg for use in targeted advertising like in "Miniority Report" for thoose
        of you who have seen this movie.

        Technically yes this is possible. The process of getting it to work however is not so clean. There are two routes that might be taken...

        1. Simple
        ____________
        First you'd have to have a native Symbian app running continually, something like the Nokia Sensor application. This of course would need to be started up and bluetooth switched on (and the app left on the entire time draining the battery a little more than usual).

        Your PC continually detecting bluetooth clients and sending out data sends any new handsets in the area a SWF file containing the ad.

        Your Symbian app will be able to detect some incoming data via bluetooth and store the relevant swf file sent over bluetooth in a private folder on the phone. Security sandboxes may be an issue, although you'd have to look into that. When the user is prompted to save the file, they can then open it to launch the ad in the Flash Player.

        2. Complex
        Starts off the same as 1. However instead of sending a SWF it simply sends a message and a URL.

        Your Symbian app displays this message, and if the user hits YES, it writes the URL to a text file and launches the Flash app (simple enough), and that application will read in the URL in the text file, and do a simple loadMovie() with the URL, loading in the ad.

        There's quite a bit of user prompting involved, so it's nowhere near as seemless as in the film.

        As for actually doing this, I have not. But I'd love to see someone create a minority report demo ;)

        Rich