Re: [FlashLite] quick and dirty loadVariables example

  • leocrawf stewart
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 31, 2005
      Darren i am unable to extract the files there seem to be an error. Could you compress and send again.

      On 8/31/05, leocrawf stewart < leocrawf@...> wrote:
      Thanks a million. I have been trying all day.

      On 8/31/05, Darren Osadchuk <darren@... > wrote:
      I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact with
      PHP. You can find it here:

      http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip

      The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script. I've left
      the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
      capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
      ludicroussoftware.com.

      The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able to figure
      things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the weekend I
      will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.

      I hope this helps people out!

      Darren

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --
      "...men are that they might have joy."
      Nephi

      --
      "...men are that they might have joy."
      Nephi
    • Darren Osadchuk
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        That's weird - it seems to work fine for me. I've uploaded a differently
        zipped version, so try the link again. If it still isn't working, let me
        know and I can upload the uncompressed files.

        Did anybody else download it and experience any problems?

        Darren

        leocrawf stewart wrote:
        > Darren i am unable to extract the files there seem to be an error. Could
        > you compress and send again.
        >
        > On 8/31/05, *leocrawf stewart* < leocrawf@...
        > <mailto:leocrawf@...>> wrote:
        >
        > Thanks a million. I have been trying all day.
        >

        > On 8/31/05, *Darren Osadchuk* <darren@...
        > <mailto:darren@...>> wrote:
        >
        > I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact
        > with
        > PHP. You can find it here:
        >
        > http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
        > <http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip>
        >
        > The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script.
        > I've left
        > the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
        > capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
        > ludicroussoftware.com <http://ludicroussoftware.com>.
        >
        > The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able
        > to figure
        > things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the
        > weekend I
        > will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.
        >
        > I hope this helps people out!
        >
        > Darren

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        >

        > --
        > "...men are that they might have joy."
        > Nephi
        >

        > --
        > "...men are that they might have joy."
        > Nephi

      • leocrawf stewart
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          The files still cant extract. i am sorry.

          leocrawf stewart wrote:
          > Darren i am unable to extract the files there seem to be an error. Could
          > you compress and send again.
          >
          > On 8/31/05, *leocrawf stewart* < leocrawf@...
          > <mailto:leocrawf@... >> wrote:
          >
          >     Thanks a million. I have been trying all day.
          >

          >     On 8/31/05, *Darren Osadchuk* <darren@...
          >     <mailto:darren@...>> wrote:
          >
          >         I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact
          >         with
          >         PHP. You can find it here:
          >
          >         http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
          >         < http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip>
          >
          >         The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script.
          >         I've left
          >         the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
          >         capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
          >         ludicroussoftware.com <http://ludicroussoftware.com >.
          >
          >         The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able
          >         to figure
          >         things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the
          >         weekend I
          >         will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.
          >
          >         I hope this helps people out!
          >
          >         Darren

          >         <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
          >

          >     --
          >     "...men are that they might have joy."
          >     Nephi
          >

          > --
          > "...men are that they might have joy."
          > Nephi
          >
          >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "...men are that they might have joy."
          Nephi
        • vivek
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            i too hav tried it but cant extract.

            vivek

            leocrawf stewart wrote:
            > Darren i am unable to extract the files there seem to be an error. Could
            > you compress and send again.
            >
            > On 8/31/05, *leocrawf stewart* < leocrawf@...
            > <mailto:leocrawf@... >> wrote:
            >
            >     Thanks a million. I have been trying all day.
            >

            >     On 8/31/05, *Darren Osadchuk* <darren@...
            >     <mailto:darren@...>> wrote:
            >
            >         I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact
            >         with
            >         PHP. You can find it here:
            >
            >         http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
            >         < http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip>
            >
            >         The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script.
            >         I've left
            >         the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
            >         capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
            >         ludicroussoftware.com <http://ludicroussoftware.com >.
            >
            >         The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able
            >         to figure
            >         things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the
            >         weekend I
            >         will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.
            >
            >         I hope this helps people out!
            >
            >         Darren

            >         <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
            >

            >     --
            >     "...men are that they might have joy."
            >     Nephi
            >

            > --
            > "...men are that they might have joy."
            > Nephi
            >
            >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            "...men are that they might have joy."
            Nephi

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Darren Osadchuk
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
              That's weird. What program are you using to try to extract the files?

              In any event, here are direct links to the individual files:

              The .fla:
              http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.fla

              The .swf:
              http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.swf

              The PHP script (remove the .txt before using, obviously):
              http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.php.txt

              Let me know if this works for you.

              Darren

            • leocrawf stewart
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                I am using winwar . I have even tried the default compression tool that comes with xp, but it still has not worked. Thanks for sending the files again.

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Do happen to have a sample php script that sends flash variables to a database? Dont worry i have database access.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                    If your PHP script can successfully extract the variables sent to it by
                    Flash, but the variables aren't been written to your database, then the
                    problem isn't related to Flash. There are plenty of examples of how to use
                    PHP to communicate with a MySQL database in "The PHP 5/MySQL Bible", which
                    is what I've used to learn PHP/MySQL. There are probably also a number of
                    tutorials on-line that you could consult to help you with that.

                    If you're using GET to pass your variables to PHP, then you could just
                    construct a URL yourself to use in your browser to test your PHP script.
                    For example, you can use the php script in my loadVariables example from
                    the following URL:

                    http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/php/loadvarex.php?&myVar1=45&myVar2=21

                    (using whatever values for myVar1 and myVar2 you want).

                    I'd recommend doing something like this to get your PHP working properly
                    before you try to access it with Flash. It's a much more transparent way
                    of testing your PHP. Once you have that nailed down, then you can
                    concentrate on the Flash, and if something isn't working at that point,
                    you know it's because of the Flash and not the PHP.

                    Good luck!
                    Darren

                  • leocrawf stewart
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Everything worked fine. Thanks again.

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      --
                      "...men are that they might have joy."
                      Nephi
                    • Mahmoud Elsayess
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                        Hi Darren,

                        For me, examples are great tools for learning, thank you.

                        Mahmoud

                        >I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact with
                        > PHP. You can find it here:
                        >
                        > http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
                        >
                        > The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script. I've left
                        > the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
                        > capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
                        > ludicroussoftware.com.
                        >
                        > The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able to figure
                        > things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the weekend I
                        > will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.
                        >
                        > I hope this helps people out!
                        >
                        > Darren
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Mahmoud Elsayess
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                          Hi Darren,

                          I tried to extract your files from your zipped file but I got an error, can
                          you please, send them unzipped?

                          Thank you.
                          Mahmoud

                          >I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact with
                          > PHP. You can find it here:
                          >
                          > http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
                          >
                          > The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script. I've left
                          > the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a server
                          > capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
                          > ludicroussoftware.com.
                          >
                          > The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able to figure
                          > things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the weekend I
                          > will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more detail.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps people out!
                          >
                          > Darren
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Mahmoud Elsayess
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                            Yes!
                            Mahmoud

                            > That's weird - it seems to work fine for me. I've uploaded a differently
                            > zipped version, so try the link again. If it still isn't working, let me
                            > know and I can upload the uncompressed files.
                            >
                            > Did anybody else download it and experience any problems?
                            >
                            > Darren
                            >
                            > leocrawf stewart wrote:
                            >> Darren i am unable to extract the files there seem to be an error. Could
                            >> you compress and send again.
                            >>
                            >> On 8/31/05, *leocrawf stewart* < leocrawf@...
                            >> <mailto:leocrawf@...>> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Thanks a million. I have been trying all day.
                            >>

                            >> On 8/31/05, *Darren Osadchuk* <darren@...
                            >> <mailto:darren@...>> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> I did up a quick example of how to use loadVariables to interact
                            >> with
                            >> PHP. You can find it here:
                            >>
                            >> http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip
                            >> <http://www.ludicroussoftware.com/downloads/loadvarex.zip>
                            >>
                            >> The zip file includes the .fla, the .swf, and the php script.
                            >> I've left
                            >> the php script on the server; if you don't have access to a
                            >> server
                            >> capable of running php scripts, feel free to use the one on
                            >> ludicroussoftware.com <http://ludicroussoftware.com>.
                            >>
                            >> The code is pretty thoroughly commented, so you should be able
                            >> to figure
                            >> things out just by looking at what I did. At some point on the
                            >> weekend I
                            >> will try to put up a page to explain things in a little more
                            >> detail.
                            >>
                            >> I hope this helps people out!
                            >>
                            >> Darren

                            >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>