gotoandstop(variable)

  • gilkahanagil
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hello,
      Do you know why gotoandstop(variable) doesn't work?
      Gil
    • gilkahanagil
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
        Hello,
        Do you know why gotoandstop(variable) doesn't work?
        Gil
      • Scott Janousek
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
          gotoAndStop( var ) ... it's case sensitive.

          On 8/2/05, gilkahanagil <gilkahana@...> wrote:
          Hello,
          Do you know why gotoandstop(variable) doesn't work?
          Gil

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Richard Leggett
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
            Hi Gil,

            This is a common misconception, but it does work don't worry :)

            The most common reason for this to fail is something introduced after the Flash 4 player; scope.

            Now in Flash Lite 1.1 we don't have the concept of scope in the same regard as we have no objects, but variables still exist within a movie clip's timeline, and for others to access them, they must employ relative or absolute paths.

            Take this example on the main (_root) timeline:

              someLabel = "someframelabel";
              gotoAndStop(someLabel);

            Now this does work, but now how about this:

              someLabel = "someframelabel";
              tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(someLabel);

            This will not work, instead you need:

              tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(_root.someLabel); // to be absolute

            or

              tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(../:someLabel); // to be relative

            The thing with tellTarget() is that it works like with(), changing the "scope" of the code contained within. So you always need to be sure you are referencing the variables correctly. If in doubt, place a trace(varName); inside the tellTarget().

            Does this help?

            Richard

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                Hi Richard,
                Yes that's it...
                when I tried gotoandstop(/:i) it worked
                because this was after a tell target command!
                Thanks!
                Gil

                --- In FlashLite@yahoogroups.com, Scott Janousek <scott@s...> wrote:
                > Sorry, I'm occupied with AS2 work right now, so that was my first guess
                > (gotoandstop doesn't color code) ... my mistake ... scope is
                > more likely the cause.
                > -sj
                >
                > On 8/2/05, Richard Leggett <rleggett@g...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Gil,
                > > This is a common misconception, but it does work don't worry :)
                > > The most common reason for this to fail is something introduced after the
                > > Flash 4 player; scope.
                > > Now in Flash Lite 1.1 we don't have the concept of scope in the same
                > > regard as we have no objects, but variables still exist within a movie
                > > clip's timeline, and for others to access them, they must employ relative or
                > > absolute paths.
                > > Take this example on the main (_root) timeline:
                > > someLabel = "someframelabel";
                > > gotoAndStop(someLabel);
                > > Now this does work, but now how about this:
                > > someLabel = "someframelabel";
                > > tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(someLabel);
                > > This will not work, instead you need:
                > > tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(_root.someLabel); // to be absolute
                > > or
                > > tellTarget("my_mc") gotoAndStop(../:someLabel); // to be relative
                > > The thing with tellTarget() is that it works like with(), changing the
                > > "scope" of the code contained within. So you always need to be sure you are
                > > referencing the variables correctly. If in doubt, place a trace(varName);
                > > inside the tellTarget().
                > > Does this help?
                > > Richard
                > >
                > > ------------------------------

                t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Computer+securit
                y&w3=C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages&w5=Compu
                ter+training&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=tHviKoRFPipEomXL5bF4Rw>
                Computer
                > > security<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Computer+security&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Computer+security&w3
                =C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages&w5=Computer+t
                raining&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=vB2TZWGyB2OG16WnviGiDg> C
                > > programming language<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=C+programming+language&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Computer+secu
                rity&w3=C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages&w5=Com
                puter+training&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=0dwwlK3ioCd_xtafYx42ZQ>
                Computer
                > > programming languages<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Comp
                uter+security&w3=C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages
                &w5=Computer+training&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=e-
                Ted_7kaqPFnvluNGqdrg> Computer
                > > training<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Computer+training&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Computer+security&w3
                =C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages&w5=Computer+t
                raining&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=o6Q2IlXt1gXl79t6oCqVGA>
                Macromedia
                > > flash<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Macromedia+flash&w1=Programming+languages&w2=Computer+security&w3=
                C+programming+language&w4=Computer+programming+languages&w5=Computer+tra
                ining&w6=Macromedia+flash&c=6&s=159&.sig=WWLHn2nYQmT2DR7PhNFP5g>

                > > ------------------------------

              • Richard Leggett
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                  I didn't even notice the lower case :p oops.

                  Do you know why gotoandstop(variable) doesn't work?
                  Gil

                  Programming languagesComputer securityC programming language
                  Computer programming languagesComputer trainingMacromedia flash

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Justin Everett-Church
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005

                    Man, back in the Flash 4 days, tellTarget totally messed me up.  I thought it was just this magical thing for gotoAndStop not a full scope changing thing.  It probably (to my shame) took me about a year to figure out what was going on :D

                    One of those things I never caught onto in Flash 4 days, that only dawned on me in Flash Lite was call(“../../:myFrameLabel”) where you can specify a path to your frame label, provided you treat it like a variable. It would have made my life soooo much easier :D

                    Justin

                    ___
                    Justin Everett-Church
                    Rich Media Evangelist
                    justin@... (new email!)

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                      ... actually it's not case sensitive as I had thought even in AS2 (when used on the timeline that is ) ... I believe
                      it is case sensitive if you use it within an AS 2 class though ... since with gotoandplay() flash would be
                      looking for a custom method you define, and gotoandstop() is not a method of mc ...

                      ... it's one of those flash things, where you should probably stick to using gotoAndStop(), etc
                      syntax, just in case becomes an issue ... it shouldn't though since it's a really legacy command. :)

                      ---

                      Deuce is based on a (subset) AS2, it's better not to get in the habit of using gotoandplay() ... just my 2 cents.

                      It is kind of annyoing that play() and stop() are lowercase but gotoAndPlay() and gotoAndStop() are not. :)

                      Anyways ...

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                        Totally, I never caught that first time round either, but noticed it in Moock's FPS Speedo in the FL1.1 CDK.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                          Hi Richard,

                          It helped me to understand Flash 4 a little bit better, thank you.

                          Mahmoud

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005

                            Hey,

                            Macromedia released a new survey today about mobile usage.  It is good info, and has some interesting statistics.

                            http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/proom/pr/2005/mobile_survey.html

                            One of the most useful things in the survey was the response on what type of content people would like to use on their phone. If you are interested, here are my comments on it:

                            http://justin.everett-church.com/index.php/2005/08/02/macromedia-mobile-survey/

                            Justin

                            ___
                            Justin Everett-Church
                            Rich Media Evangelist
                            justin@... (new email!)
                            YIM: beltransf

                          • Mahmoud Elsayess
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                              Hello Justin,

                              This is good piece of info, thank you.

                              Mahmoud

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 2, 2005
                                Hey Scott, that's good to know, cheers for the info:

                                >It is kind of
                                annyoing that play() and stop() are lowercase but gotoAndPlay() and gotoAndStop() are not. :)

                                This is in line with camelCase, each word bar the first has a capatilized first letter.