Black-capped Petrel Offshore South Dade

  • Roberto Torres
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 12:21 PM
      This morning (5/1) while grouper fishing in 140' of water off the whistle buoy between Ocean Reef and Elliot Key I had a Black-capped Petrel fly north to south behind my boat. The stern of the boat was facing north and I noticed a bird heading straight for us. At first I just assumed it was a shearwater, but it did a high arc so I put the rod down and ran for the camera. Luckily I got it just as it flew 100 yard to the inside of me. I checked my position and it put me just inside the Dade County line. If accepted by the Miami-Dade Records Committee (John), this is the first County record. This species is seen pretty regularly off Ponce Inlet, but almost always out in the middle of the Gulfstream ~60 nm out. Today's bird was only 7 miles offshore. They breed on Hispaniola, and are known to make foraging trip as far north as North Carolina. I wonder if this individual was on a return flight from one such trip.

      Link to photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52157777@N05/8699930007/in/photostream

      Roberto