Pelagic July 15, 2012

  • Murray Gardler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2012
      Is this the trip we get a first for FL? There are a lot of possibilities based on what is in the Atlantic Ocean at this time of year.
      Help us find a first!

      Hi To all,
      I am posting this notice with the permission of the Listserv owner regarding a
      pelagic trip out of Ponce de Leon Inlet on Sunday, July 15.

      Join the Friends of the Marine Science Center on Sunday, July 15, for another
      adventure off the east coast of Florida that will explore the entire width of
      the Gulf Stream and the 3000’ deep canyons 100 miles offshore.

      “The Pastime Princess” is a 100-foot, all-aluminum boat with excellent
      observation areas on the upper deck, bow and stern. Meet for this exciting trip
      at 3:00 a.m. at the Dolphin View Restaurant and Marina on Riverside Drive near
      Canal Street in downtown New Smyrna Beach. Return is at 9:00 p.m.

      The trip leaves from the New Smyrna side of Ponce de Leon Inlet, travels out
      over 100 miles, crosses the entire Gulf Stream, past the east wall of the Gulf
      Stream into the area known as the “Tuna Grounds.” This trip holds high
      probability of encountering exciting pelagic species. We will be in the Gulf
      Stream at one of the best times to find White-tailed Tropicbird. In addition,
      summer visitors such as Cory’s, Great and Audubon’s Shearwaters, and all
      three Storm-Petrels (Leach’s, Wilson’s and Band-rumped) are possibilities.
      There is also a good chance of also finding Black-capped Petrels.

      Potential Species include (* indicates good probability):
      Black-capped Petrel*; Cory’s Shearwater *; Great Shearwater *; Audubon’s
      Shearwater *; Wilson’s Storm Petrel *; Leach’s Storm-Petrel; Band-rumped
      Storm-Petrel *; Brown Booby*; Masked Booby; White-tailed Tropicbird*;
      Red-billed Tropicbird; Sooty Tern*; Bridled Tern *; Brown Noddy

      Participants should bring: food and beverages, seasickness medicine, sun screen
      and personal items. Food service will be available on the boat for breakfast,
      lunch and dinner at moderate prices.

      Call or email NOW to reserve your space. Additional information and available
      accommodations will be forwarded to participants. DON’T MISS this exceedingly
      rare opportunity to bird in almost unexplored state waters, with the chance at
      seeing some of the rarest birds in Florida!

      To sign up please contact:
      Michael Brothers
      Marine Science Center
      386-304-5543
      mbrothers AT co.volusia.fl.us

      We have enough folks for the trip now, but we still have spaces available.

      Michael

      Michael Brothers
      Marine Science Center
      Ponce Inlet, FL