Zellwood CBC

  • Wes Biggs
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
      Dear Birders,

      Have I heard from everyone who is planning on taking part in the
      Zellwood Count this year on Friday December 16, 2011? If not, please
      contact me as soon as possible. This is truly one of the great counts in
      North America, please join us!

      Please find attached a map of the count circle, the center point of
      which is US 441 & Jones Ave. The northernmost traffic light in Zellwood
      is located at this point. Using a Florida Atlas or maps generated from
      "Google Maps" in conjunction with the attached map will be a great help.

      For those of you who would like to do some scouting in the Lake Apopka
      Restoration Area, (LARA) keep in mind that parts of the LARA are still
      closed to the public and other areas are open only to foot traffic. To
      gain vehicular access to these areas, I will need to make arrangements
      with the St. John's River Water Mgt. District for your entry. Please let
      me know what days & times you have available.

      The 5 areas directly North of Lake Apopka comprise the LARA. Units 1 & 2
      & the Sand Farm are closed to the public. The Marsh Flo-way/Clay Island
      area and Duda are open to foot traffic only. There are two entrances
      into the Marsh Flo-Way/Clay Island areas on Ranch Rd.which runs South of
      CR 48 East of Astatula. The Duda entrance is off of 448A South of it's
      intersection with CR 48. The main entrances into Unit 1 is Laughlin Rd.
      South of Jones Ave. The main entrance into Unit 2 is Lust Rd. off of S.
      Binion Rd., (CR 437). The Sand Farm is entered off of Jones Ave. & from
      Unit 1.

      The areas that need scouting the most are actually those located outside
      of the LARA.

      As usual, the party house behind "The Old Nest" at 5614 West Ponkan Rd.
      in Zellwood will be our HQ. All the team packets will be available any
      time after Mid-night. I'll be there from 0500 until 06:30. You can bring
      breakfast with you to eat there & leave food for lunch in the fridge if
      you don't plan to be in the field at lunch time. As always, a great
      dinner at the count down will be provided by Dexter. Be there around
      1800, (OK 6:00 PM).

      Wes Biggs
      Orlando
      H 407-384-9766
      C 407-376-6967

    • Wes Biggs
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
        Dear Birders,

        Have I heard from everyone who is planning on taking part in the
        Zellwood Count this year on Friday December 16, 2011? If not, please
        contact me as soon as possible. This is truly one of the great counts in
        North America, please join us!

        Please request a map of the count circle, the center point of which is
        US 441 & Jones Ave. The northernmost traffic light in Zellwood is
        located at this point. Using a Florida Atlas or maps generated from
        "Google Maps" in conjunction with the requested