June Challenge results?

  • Rex Rowan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
      If you participated in The June Challenge this year, please send me your
      results. Remember, we want ALL the birds (except obvious pets), using
      the following formula: Total species (ABA Countable species / ABA
      non-countable species).

      If you have a question about "countability," here's the ABA checklist:
      http://www.aba.org/checklist/abachecklist.pdf If it's not on the
      checklist, it's in the "non-countable" category.

      If any of you are willing to do a little extra work, I'd be happy to get
      a cumulative list of all the species seen in your county during this
      year's Challenge.

      Once I've gotten all the results, I'll send them out to the list.

      Rex Rowan
      Gainesville
    • Vincent P Lucas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2011
        Rex & Other Interested Parties:

        As far as I can tell, the totals for the Collier County June Challenge
        are as follows: 107 species -- all ABA-countable. No exotics that I am
        aware of at this time. Of those ABA-countable species, I personally
        saw 103 of them. The four I didn't see are Great Horned Owl, Yellow-
        billed Cuckoo, Northern Rough-winged Swallow & Eastern Kingbird. The
        latter four were taken from eBird. Here's the list of species for
        Collier County:

        Black-bellied Whistling Duck
        Muscovy Duck
        Wood Duck
        Mallard
        Mottled Duck
        Wild Turkey
        Brown Pelican
        Double-crested Cormorant
        Anhinga
        Magnificent Frigatebird
        Least Bittern
        Great Blue Heron
        Great Egret
        Snowy Egret
        Little Blue Heron
        Tricolored Heron
        Reddish Egret
        Cattle Egret
        Green Heron
        Black-crowned Night-Heron
        Yellow-crowned Hight-Heron
        White Ibis
        Glossy Ibis
        Roseate Spoonbill
        Wood Stork
        Black Vulture
        Turkey Vulture
        Osprey
        Swallow-tailed Kite
        Bald Eagle
        Cooper's Hawk
        Red-shouldered Hawk
        Short-tailed Hawk
        Red-tailed Hawk
        Crested Caracara
        Purple Gallinule
        Common Moorhen
        American Coot
        Limpkin
        Sandhill Crane
        Black-bellied Plover
        Wilson's Plover
        Semipalmated Plover
        Killdeer
        American Oystercatcher
        Black-necked Stilt
        Greater Yellowlegs
        Willet
        Lesser Yellowlegs
        Ruddy Turnstone
        Red Knot
        Sanderling
        Short-billed Dowitcher
        Laughing Gull
        Royal Tern
        Sandwich Tern
        Least Tern
        Black Skimmer
        Rock Pigeon
        Eurasian Collard-Dove
        White-winged Dove
        Mourning Dove
        Common Ground Dove
        Yellow-billed Cuckoo
        Great Horned Owl
        Burrowing Owl
        Barred Owl
        Common Nighthawk
        Chimney Swift
        Ruby-throated Hummingbird
        Red-headed Woodpecker
        Red-bellied Woodpecker
        Downy Woodpecker
        Northern Flicker
        Pileated Woodpecker
        Great Crested Flycatcher
        Eastern Kingbird
        Gray Kingbird
        Loggerhead Shrike
        White-eyed Vireo
        Blue Jay
        American Crow
        Fish Crow
        Purple Martin
        Northern Rough-winged Swallow
        Barn Swallow
        Tufted Titmouse
        Brown-headed Nuthatch
        Carolina Wren
        Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
        Eastern Bluebird
        Northern Mockingbird
        Brown Thrasher
        European Starling
        Northern Parula
        Pine Warbler
        Common Yellowthroat
        Eastern Towhee
        Northern Cardinal
        Red-winged Blackbird
        Eastern Meadowlark
        Common Grackle
        Boat-tailed Grackle
        Bronzed Cowbird
        Brown-headed Cowbird
        House Finch
        House Sparrow

        Cheers,

        Vince

        Vincent P. Lucas
        Naples, FL
        vplucas@...
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/

        On Jul 1, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Rex Rowan wrote:

        > If you participated in The June Challenge this year, please send me
        > your results. Remember, we want ALL the birds (except obvious pets),
        > using the following formula: Total species (ABA Countable species /
        > ABA non-countable species).
        >
        > If you have a question about "countability," here's the ABA
        > checklist: http://www.aba.org/checklist/abachecklist.pdf If it's
        > not on the checklist, it's in the "non-countable" category.
        >
        > If any of you are willing to do a little extra work, I'd be happy to
        > get a cumulative list of all the species seen in your county during
        > this year's Challenge.
        >
        > Once I've gotten all the results, I'll send them out to the list.
        >
        > Rex Rowan
        > Gainesville

      • Rex Rowan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2012
          Those of you who participated in The June Challenge this month, please send
          me your final totals by midnight on Sunday night, July 1st - your
          individual totals, and, if you kept them, your cumulative county totals.
          Remember to distinguish between ABA-countable birds and non-countable like
          so: Overall Total (ABA countable / Non-countable), e.g., 100 (90/10). If
          you need a list of ABA-countable birds, it's here:

          http://www.aba.org/checklist/abachecklist.pdf

          I'll compile the results and hopefully send them out on July 4th.

          Thanks,

          Rex Rowan
          Gainesville