Collier County Big Year Additions #197-#199

  • Vincent P Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2011
      Yesterday, April 30th, i was finally able to add Common Nighthawk to
      my Collier County Big Year (CCBY) attempt. Three birds were seen
      flying over the parking lot at the local shopping mall late in the
      evening, here in North Naples. I don't know why it too me so long to
      see this species in Collier County this year as they have been
      reported for over a month. I'll take it anyway! #197 for my CCBY. This
      morning, May 1st, acting on a post from yesterday's Tropical Audubon
      Society's field trip to Loop Rd., Kirby Storter Boardwalk, etc, I went
      to the latter location to try to find the Magnolia Warbler that was
      reported. I was successful in finding a female! That's #198 for my
      CCBY. I also heard a calling Mangrove Cuckoo, probably the same one
      reported there earlier this winter. Just up US Rte. 41 at mile marker
      65 in the recovered burned-over area on the south side of the road, I
      saw 8 Bobolinks -- #199 for my CCBY. Other birds seen in the Big
      Cypress National Preserve, mostly at Kirby Storter Boardwalk, Dona
      Drive & several "sky pools" off of the highway, were a rather late
      Northern Harrier, Common Yellowthroat, Blackpoll Warbler, American
      Redstart, Northern Parula, Red-eyed and White-eyed Vireos, Pileated
      Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, Tufted Titmouse, Northern
      Cardinal, Carolina Wren, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Northern Flicker,
      Eastern Meadowlark, Purple Martin, Barn Swallow, Common Ground-Dove,
      Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper, Black-necked Stilt, Swallow-
      tailed Kite, and Gray Catbird among others. I wonder what my 200th
      species for my Collier County Big Year will be?

      Cheers.

      Vince

      Vincent P. Lucas
      Naples, FL