Collier County Birding/Big Year 04/02/2011

  • Vincent P Lucas
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2011
      I decided to go down to the Big Cypress National Preserve today to see
      what migrants had arrived and to try to add to my Collier County Big
      Year (CCBY). I managed to find three new birds for my CCBY list,
      bringing the total to 184. I tried futilely once again for King Rail
      along appropriate habitat sites on US Rte. 41 aka Tamiami Trail. Looks
      like King Rail is going to be another jinx bird for me. Next, I went
      down the Collier County portion of Loop Rd. from Monroe Station all
      the way to Sweetwater Strand. The road has been graded and is easily
      driven in any vehicle! However, they are still working on putting in
      new culverts as evidenced by the massive dump trucks that were coming
      toward me from the opposite direction. It is incredibly dry everywhere
      and Sweetwater Strand, like many other places, is nearly devoid of
      water. Still, there is a large 'mud puddle' replete with a single
      resident gator at approximately 3.1 miles from the Monroe Road turn-
      off from US Rte. 41 heading south on Loop Rd. or .9 miles from the
      "Last Chance To Turn Around" sign on Loop Rd.. There, I found a pair
      of FOTS Prothonotary Warblers (CCBY #182). I believe that they breed
      at this site as they are there well into June. Other warblers seen at
      this location were Northern Waterthrush, Black-and-white Warbler,
      Northern Parula and Palm Warbler. Other birds present were Great
      Crested Flycatcher, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpecker, Northern
      Cardinal, Common Grackle, Gray Catbird, Carolina Wren and other common
      species. However, a Barred Owl with a 'gimpy' eye posed nicely for
      photos. Heading back toward the Kirby Storter Boardwalk on US Rte. 41,
      I found a FOTS Eastern Kingbird (#183 in a beautifully restored/
      burned over grassland at MM65. I even got to photograph it. Kirby
      Storter had the usual birds but Yellow-throated Warbler, Pine Warbler
      & Common Yellowthroat were new for the day. Blue-headed and White-eyed
      Vireo were also new birds for the day but the hoped for Red-eyed Vireo
      didn't materialize. The Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk in the Fakahatchee
      Strand State Preserve yielded a male American Redstart and more of the
      same species already encountered. My last stop was Marco Island and
      Tigertail Beach. I had heard that the Least Terns were back and I
      readily found them (#184 for my CCBY). I also photographed a Burrowing
      Owl on one of the side streets on Marco Island. All in all, a
      beautiful day in SW Florida with some great birds. I sure hope we have
      a good migration this spring! You can see a few of today's photos here;

      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=110150&id=1452300618&l=e9a26c9e27

      Cheers.

      Vince

      Vincent P. Lucas
      Naples, FL
      vplucas@...
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/

    • Jack Rogers
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2011
        Hi All, I've been photographing a couple of Eagle's nests around Orlando
        this Winter and Spring. Most of the young eagles have fledged at this point
        but many are still hanging around their nests. I captured a nice sequence of
        a fledgling this morning launching from a perch. Thought I'd share. Cheers,
        Jack

        http://www.pbase.com/paleojack/image/133644628

        http://www.pbase.com/paleojack/image/133644647

        http://www.pbase.com/paleojack/image/133644664