Gulf Coast Long-Tailed Duck & Common Goldeneye still present (01/01/2011)

  • BrianAhern@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hi All,

      After birding Ft. DeSoto Park this morning I saw both the Long-tailed Duck
      & Common Goldeneye in their respecitve locations this afternoon. Directions
      are below:

      1st year male Long-tailed Duck - Bradenton, Manatee County

      Take Exit 220 (SR 64) East. Head east about 0.4 miles to Grand Harbour
      Parkway. Turn Left at Grand Harbour Parkway (North) and go 0.5 miles to the
      first stop sign (River Heritage BLVD). Make a left. Park at the first
      parking lot on the left next to the lighthouse. This afternoon the bird was
      present on the pond at the Southeast corner of Grand Harbour Parkway and River
      Heritage Blvd. This is not the pond with all the Hooded Mergansers but the
      one next to it across the road.

      Several people have posted that this bird is a female, after seeing the
      Long-tailed Duck for myself I think a 1st year male is a better pick. See the
      plate illustrated in "Waterfowl" by Steve Madge & Hilary Burn for better
      comparisons of age and plumage that are showed in most field guides.

      juvenile Common Goldeneye - Fruitville Road, Sarasota County

      The pond is located 3 miles east of the Fruitville Road exit of I-75 on the
      south side of the road. Park in the Shining Life Bible Church parking lot
      and walk across the road and look in between the landscape of the property.
      It was diving frequently in the eastern side of the pond.

      Best,
      Brian Ahern
      Tampa Bay, FL.
      BrianAhern@...