Harlequin Duck, Eurasian Wigeon & Crested Caracara

  • David Goodwin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi all,

      Since Erik Haney had missed the Harlequin Duck at Sebastian Inlet last
      Sunday, we went back with Wes Biggs this Sunday and quickly found the
      duck lounging on the rocks on the north side of the inlet just west of
      the bridge. We then went to Merritt Island & drove out to #8 on Black
      Point Drive where Erik finally caught a glimpse of the Eurasian Wigeon.
      Dang, two life ducks in one day for Erik - he needs to get out more
      often! We drifted around in the afternoon checking out spots in the St.
      John's WMD Recreation Guide when we came across a Crested Caracara
      perched in a snag on SR 46 between the St. John's River and the town of
      Geneva in Seminole County. In my 45 years of birding in Florida, this
      is the northernmost Caracara I have ever seen. At least I got a "county
      list" bird for a hard day's work. We checked Orlando Wetlands Park,
      coming up with many Purple Gallinules, but couldn't locate any
      White-faced Ibis in the glaring afternoon sun. Wes went along for
      entertainment value (he was the first however to spot the Harlequin
      Duck as it flew down the inlet).

      Good birding!

      Dave

      David Goodwin