Horned Larks continue Concord Road Bascom, FL 30 May 09

  • David Simpson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi all,

      There has been some speculation about the Horned larks found by Andy
      Bankert in northern Jackson County a couple years ago. The last
      Christmas Bird Count produced 14 birds, some of which were singing.
      Why, if there are so many birds wintering in that particular area,
      are there none seen in surrounding areas? Wouldn't it make sense
      that birds would be showing up in other areas or on the coast if they
      are migrating to the area each winter? Maybe they are resident in
      the area.

      Well, it seems that maybe they are. I had two singing males in a
      stubble field along Concord Road Saturday afternoon. I heard them as
      soon as I opened the truck door and for the full 20 minutes that I
      was there. At one point, I saw two Horned larks fly up together and
      part ways. I saw two more fly over in another field closer to SR 2.
      This was the heat of the day and I did not have time to really canvas
      the area, but it seems they are still there. It would be interesting
      to see just how many are present and if breeding evidence could be
      verified.

      I'll forward a link for the location momentarily.

      David Simpson
      Fellsmere, FL