Short-tailed Hawks Lee County

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      This morning, November 1st, Alan Murray and I led a small contingent
      of the [Collier County] Audubon Young Birders Club to the Six Mile
      Cypress Slough Preserve in Fort Myers, Lee County. The highlight of
      the trip was seeing two white phase Short-tailed Hawks fly 50 feet
      over our heads and then catch a thermal and ride it ever so high
      until they were out of sight. Seeing two Short-tailed Hawks at one
      time in SW Florida is definitely not an every day occurrence. In
      fact, seeing any STHA in SW Florida is uncommon. Other birds on our
      morning walk around the boardwalk at Six Mile Cypress Slough were:

      Double-crested Cormorant
      Anhinga
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Little Blue Heron
      Cattle Egret
      Green Heron
      Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (several)
      White Ibis
      Wood Stork
      Black Vulture
      Turkey Vulture
      Osprey
      Bald Eagle (2 adults)
      Red-shouldered Hawk
      Royal Tern
      Mourning Dove
      Belted Kingfisher
      Red-bellied Woodpecker (heard)
      Downy Woodpecker (heard)
      Pileated Woodpecker (several)
      Eastern Phoebe x2
      Blue Jay
      Fish Crow
      Tufted Titmouse
      Carolina Wren
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet (several)
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (many)
      Loggerhead Shrike
      Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler
      Prairie Warbler
      Palm Warbler
      Black-and-white Warbler (several)
      Common Yellowthroat
      Northern Cardinal
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Boat-tailed Grackle
      Common Grackle

      Water levels were as high as I have ever seen them at the preserve
      possibly accounting for the absence or paucity of certain species.
      Still, everyone seemed to have a good time both adults and kids.
      Thanks to Gail Boorman for arranging the outing.

      Cheers.

      Vince

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples, FL