Distressing Audubon of Florida Eagle Cam News

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2008
      I just read the following distressing news on the Maine Bald Eagle Cam
      Discussion forum -

      <quote>

      It is with a very heavy heart that I am bringing this news this morning…

      I checked with Lynda White yesterday to see whether she knew when we might expect the cam to be up for
      the season. With Birdie coming back home, I figured it was the right time to ask.

      Well, here is the very sad answer:

      “Hi, Sherri,
      Unfortunately we have no funding this year-we are looking for a new sponsor, but it's not encouraging. I
      am sick about it, but there's nothing I can do.
      Birdie is the bright spot in my day-to know she has survived her first summer and is headed home does my
      heart good.
      If anything changes, I'll let you know.
      Thanks,
      Lynda”

      I emailed her back asking if it were OK to share with others…….I mentioned that the more people that
      know about it, the better the chances of a sponsor. Told her maybe one of us is a multi-millionaire ( or
      at least knew of one ).

      Here is her answer:

      “Hi, Sherri,
      Please share the sad news. I know how disappointed so many people will be. What really hurts are the
      numbers of students who will not have the opportunity that thousands did last season. I heard from
      teachers in every state, and in some cases entire schools were tuned in every day.
      Yes, what we need is money. It's the cost of the bandwidth that is so expensive. There is also a problem
      with the one functioning camera, which we hope is just a connection issue. Florida's nesting season
      starts today, and we are not allowed to access the tree to remove the cameras. Until last week I still
      had access to the camera, and the birds had done some work on the nest, though I haven't seen them.
      I am going to put a notice on the website that we are seeking funding, but if we can't get the camera
      working from the ground we're dead in the water.

      Thanks,
      Lynda”

      </quote>

      This is most distressing news.

      Perhaps the Tesoro Resort / Ginn Resorts could increase their support.
      (There still is a "View the Eagle Cam at Tesoro" link on the Tesoro
      home page to a Ginn Resorts "Audubon of Florida Eagle Cam at Tesoro"
      page.) Certainly Edward "Bobby" Ginn (Ginn CEO) has been ~very~
      supportive of the project so far, and the Tesoro Resort / Ginn Resorts
      have benefited from the very positive publicity from last season.

      I simply cannot believe that there will be no Tesoro eagle cam this
      year ...

      Fred (Frederick Wasti) (fred@...)

      Mostly in Marshfield Massachusetts

      http://www.bigbirds.net/