from BRDBRAIN: Townsend's Solitaire added to FL state list

  • SMLJAY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2008
      Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:39:17 -0400
      From: Andrew Kratter <kratter@...>
      Subject: Townsend's Solitaire added to Florida's Official State List

      Birders -

      The Florida Ornithological Society Records Committee (FOSRC) met on
      Saturday 30 August at Archbold Biological Station. The highlight our
      meeting, was the acceptance a record of Townsend's Solitaire that was
      photographed in March 2008 on private property in Orange County. This
      is the first record of Townsend's Solitaire in Florida, and ups the
      Official State List to 503 species. Unfortunately, there was no public
      access to this site, so it was not "chasable". Details will be
      published in an upcoming issue of the Florida Field Naturalist.

      In other news, we are now accepting submissions of Alder and Willow
      Flycatchers that include descriptions of vocalizations. Before, we were
      only accepting submissions with recorded vocalizations. We hope that
      this will spur more submissions, as the status of both species in
      Florida is murky at best. As everyone knows, it's a tricky field
      identification problem, but vocal birds can be separated with knowledge
      of their range of vocalizations.

      Our website (http://www.fosbirds.org/RecordCommittee/FOSRC.php) will be
      updated shortly to include these changes and also to include the latest
      changes in Supplements of the AOU Check-list Committee.

      Thanks to all those who submitted records and reports. I will write
      each submitter individually with the results of our deliberations.

      Good birding!

      Andy Kratter
      Secretary, FOSRC

      please visit us on the web at:
      http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html
      To set to no mail: send a message "SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL" to
      LISTSERV@...
      Report any problems to the listserv administrator: listadmin@...

      Sarah Linney
      Cocoa, FL