Odd behavior: Swallow-tailed Kite

  • Rex Rowan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Today at Gainesville's Colclough Pond Sanctuary I watched a
      Swallow-tailed Kite swoop down to the water and dip its belly and legs
      in, flap along once or twice with its belly and legs still submerged,
      and then rise up out of the water. After circling several feet above the
      pond, it descended and did it again. This happened five or six times. It
      didn't appear to have anything in its talons, or to be after any sort of
      prey. It was just dragging its belly and legs through the water. Finally
      it rose above the treetops and after shaking itself in flight a few
      times it drifted away.

      Can anyone tell me what it was doing? Maybe kites are as fastidious as
      they are beautiful, and it was just washing after a meal?

      Thanks,

      Rex Rowan
      Gainesville