Re: [FlaBirding] A Novice's Visit To Dunedin Causway

  • Paige Graves
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      I'm new to the list too. I know what you mean about accomplishments identifying shore birds. My husband and I were at Matanzas inlet this past Sunday and I was a little overwhelmed at the number of different/similar looking birds. Looks like you did much better than I did.
      I saw:
      Osprey
      Great Egrets
      Brown Pelicans
      Ruddy Turnstones
      Ring Billed Gull
      Least Turns
      Other turns (not sure on ID'ing)
      Other gulls (ditto)
      Plovers (ditto)
      and many more

      Some have those unmistakable markings - but some just don't. I'd love to read any quick ID tips for turns, gulls, and plovers from others on the list. One mistake I made was not taking a notepad to record details - bill and feet color etc. - that usually helps me some.
      And I felt a little rushed because he was "done fishin' " and there were soooooo many birds.

      Thanks,
      Paige
      Jax, FL

      ke4wisym <kwmail1@...> wrote:
      Hello from a novice birder, new to the list. Spent some time on
      Dunedin Causway this morning. Most all of you would label the birds in
      the following list "the usual..." but seeing and identifying these
      birds was a real accomplishment for me!
      Short-billed Dowitchers
      Least Sandpipers
      Wilson's Plovers