Shorebirds-MINWR

  • woundedmallard67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hey Everybirdy,

      If you want to know where the shorebirds are, they're along East Gator
      Creek Road. The water is at the lowest it's been in a long while.
      4000+ Dunlin
      200+ Red Knot
      100+ Stilt Sandpipers
      1000+ Least Sandpipers
      300+ Western Sandpipers
      120+ American Avocets
      300+ Short-billed Dowitchers
      1 Marbled Godwit
      2 Gull-billed Terns
      These numbers are pretty conservative due to bad lighting so I'd estimate
      at least another 3000 or so unidentified peeps and such along with all the
      other usuals. It seemed every angle I scoped there was a good amount of heat
      shimmer so it's best to hit it early for a better count or look as they are
      mostly towards the middle of the impoundment.
      Also of note was the Black-necked Stilt between Stops 8 and 9 on the
      right hand side, where the Spoonbills sometimes perch.
      See you out there!

      Thomas J. Dunkerton

      Titusville, FL
      _www.pbase.com/boidpikchas_ (http://www.pbase.com/boidpikchas)