Almost a great weekend...

  • Andrew Boyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hello, All.

      Rain washed away what looked to be a great day at
      Wekiva. One lone cloud shut us down just as things
      looked very interesting. Right after we had every net
      set.

      A cry of "Help" rang out as we were getting the last
      nets up since the sites near the banding table were
      suddenly filled with birds. I continued on to the last
      set and as I was extracting a Common-yellow Throat I
      heard a white noise from the trees near Sand Lake.

      Two birds in bags, I rushed toward the table finding
      many more birds in other nets. After getting one more
      out I decided to unload and come back. The view was to
      shut down as the rain increased. 20 bags were at the
      station, ready for processing.

      The order came to release them all and extract any
      others for release and gather the nets.

      Before 8 AM we could have had 50 birds and they were
      still everywhere. So much for my first anniversary
      celebration.

      Closed up and packed out, I decided to go back out for
      some views. Birds still all over. Would have mead a
      banner day for banding.

      Most birds seen:

      Grey Catbird finally back in droves
      Redstarts all over the trees
      Palm Warbler, often flying 2 feet at eye-level before
      me
      Black-throated Blue
      Common Yellow-throats
      Downy Woodpeckers
      Blue-grey Gnat Catchers
      Eastern Titmice
      Cardinals
      Mockers
      Blue Jays
      Veery
      Swainson's Thrush

      Many, many more .

      Shame to miss a great potential day.
      ______________________________________
      However, we did find a Blackburnian Warlber,
      Black-throated Blues and other warblers on the Apopka
      monthly count Saturday. Our transect came in early but
      I hear there was a Vermillion Flycatcher out there and
      we found tons of Chimney Swifts, Egrets, Palms and a
      Perigrine Falcon.

      Hope others had a great weekend.

      Andrew Boyle
      Orlando, FL