Fw: [TEXBIRDS] Chimney Swift Night Out

  • marina sobolevskaya
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Paul and Georgean Kyle
      To: TEXBIRDS@...
      Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 9:30 AM
      Subject: [TEXBIRDS] Chimney Swift Night Out

      ---> Texbird help file http://www.texbirds.org <---

      Greetings!

      For the fifth year, the Driftwood Wildlife Association will be hosting "A SWIFT NIGHT OUT".

      As summer draws to a close and the swifts have finished raising their young, these fascinating aerial acrobats begin to congregate in communal roosts prior to their migration in the fall. Some roosts may consist of an extended family group of a half a dozen birds or so, but the larger sites can host hundreds or even thousands of swifts! We encourage you to involve your local Audubon chapters, bird clubs, scout groups and neighbors in this exhilarating spectacle.

      Here is how it works: Keep your eyes to the skies at dusk and watch for areas where swifts are feeding. Look for a tall shaft, chimney or similar structure to locate where Chimney Swifts (central to east coast) or Vaux's Swift (Pacific coast) go to roost in your area.

      On one night over the weekend of August 12, 13, 14, and / or September 9, 10, 11 observe the roost starting about 30 minutes before dusk and estimate the number of swifts that enter. When you have your number, contact us with your results. That's all there is to it!

      For more information and results, please visit our web site: http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=520612&r=519975&t=484917169&l=1&d=86248154&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2echimneyswifts%2eorg&g=0&f=-1 and click on the "Swift Night Out" link.

      Please pass this message along to any listserves or other groups that you think might be interested.

      We look forward to hearing from you!

      Best Regards,

      Paul and Georgean

      --
      Paul D. and Georgean Z. Kyle
      Driftwood Wildlife Association
      Visit our web site: http://postsnet.com/r.html?c=520612&r=519975&t=484917169&l=1&d=86248154&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2echimneyswifts%2eorg&g=0&f=-1

      This mailer was created with Campaigner.
      http://www.campaigner.com/?testdrive_0

      For answers to questions about this list, as well as current Texas
      Birding Links, visit the Texbirds Reference Page at http://www.texbirds.org