Black-bellied Whistling Ducks

  • Dotty Hull
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      Five days ago about 5 P.M. I saw 2 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks fly eastward over our canal. I was excited because it was the first time we had seen this species in our yard. The next afternoon about the same time, two Black-bellied Whistling Ducks arrived at our feeder and stayed until dark.

      The following morning they were sitting on the edge of the canal and soon moved to the yard and fed under the feeder most of the day. They returned for 2 more days but I have not seen them yet today.

      For the past three years we have seen up to 50 BBWD in residential ponds west of Ft. Pierce. Last year there were 200 BBWDs in a flooded field on the St. Lucie -Okeechobee County line on SR 68.

      Dotty Hull
      Port St. Lucie

    • Betty Salter
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2005
        Black-bellied Whistling Ducks
        I don't know if this will work, but I added the BBWD picture to my yahoo photos. It was really great seeing the two adults with 9 young.

        Betty Salter
        MINWR Volunteer
        http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ms_betsy_21/detail?.dir=/491f&.dnm=8b85.jpg&.src=ph&.tok=phgxHrDBCQ6L11xu