Bald Eagle concentration along Lake Okeechobee 10/2

  • grizzleo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2002
      Fellow Birders:
      Coming back from a long distance road trip this eve. Travelling with Tim
      Lynagh. Observed 15 Bald Eagles between South Bay and approximately 5 miles
      west, along Highway 27 at Lake Okeechobee. These were counted casually, while
      driving by, in the Melaleuca snags (I think this species of tree). We stopped
      near S Bay to observe a pair of beautiful adult eagles and a nearby immature
      bird. We walked up on the impoundment and saw a nice adult Perigrine Falcon.
      Whithin a 5 mile radius we also observed 11 Osprey, 3 Perigrine, 6 Northern
      Harrier and 2 Red Shouldered Hawks. There was an abundance of waterfowl and
      waders around, but there may also have been something happening with the
      Lake's fish life, because the Osprey were present. Maybe someone out there
      knows something about this particular area and the time of the year that I do
      not know (since I am relatively new to the area). We did not stay long enough
      to investigate.
      Over the past several days we got some good birding in Wisconsin and
      Georgia between business.

      Matt Reid
      Coral Springs, Fl