Things that go bump in the night

  • Jeff Bouton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Last night my wife woke me up near 1:30 AM and said, "...there's something in the Florida room..." So I woke up and went to the sliding glass door and realized she was indeed correct.

      I grabbed Austin's critter catchin' net and with two deft swings had in my hand a pair of Eastern Screech Owls (follow link below and click on the "ESCO pr eml.jpg" to see the pic). I apologize for the quality of the images my wife the photographer refused to open the sliding glass door for fear that these monsters might attack apparently, let alone hold the birds so I could rattle away with my 35mm. ;) Austin would have held them but Mom wouldn't let me wake him up, (she wisely knew he'd then be up all night after that)!

      At any rate, note the larger size of the female on the right, and that she is a gray morph while the male on the left is the red color morph. A neat comparison even if it is poor resolution, taken on an inexpensive 2mb camera, through a glass window. (I knew there was a reason I hadn't replaced that piece of soffit blown out by Charley yet!

      Good birding,

      Jeff Bouton
      Port Charlotte, FL
      jbouton2@...

      listserv.admin.usf.edu/listserv/wa.exe?A2=ind0412&L=brdbrain&O=D&F=P&S=&P=161