FT Flycatcher--NO afternoon/eve

  • SMLJAY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Arrived around 10:30am and initially found no birders at the apartments. Not
      a good sign but I knew I was in between times. Looked around a bit before
      heading back into town for a snack and restroom.

      When I returned about 45 mins later (got turned around heading out), there
      were 4 other birders present but no flycatcher. We got chased back to our cars
      around noon due to rain. After an hour or so the weather slacked off and I was
      the only one left. Took a drive around checking all the powerlines and
      Norfolk Pines, etc., in the area. Little did I know until later that Vince Lucas
      had been there all along, sitting or driving around in his van. He was one of
      the birders that missed the bird this morning by just 5 mins.

      By 3pm or so we were joined by Jean (sp) and Kathy from N. Ft. Meyers trying
      for the 2nd time to see the bird. Story was they'd left about 8 mins before
      the flycatcher showed up yesterday evening. Slowly more reinforcements showed
      up, including some friends who had moved away from Brevard Co.: Gail and Russ.
      By the time Lyn arrived at roughly 6pm, we were up to 8 hopefuls.

      During the course of the afternoon, several of us had either walked or driven
      around Beach Rd., the Lewis Ave cul-de-sac, among others to no avail. I did
      have the privilege of meeting Mr. O'Sullivan, the birder who had originally
      spotted the bird, on one of my walks.

      Those 8 hopefuls were putting out so many vibes for the bird to show up, I
      just can't understand why it didn't respond. And then there were 10. That
      number slowly dwindled back down to 4 as 6:30, 7, and 7:15pm came and went. We
      hung up our binocs at 8:15pm, tired and disappointed.

      Lyn said she would check again in the morning, hoping it was the stormy w
      eather that kept the bird from its "usual" afternoon appearance.

      Sarah Linney
      Cocoa, FL
      SMLJAY@...

      We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.
      When we see land as a community to which we belong,
      we may begin to use it with love and respect. -Aldo Leopold