First of Spring RED KNOTS at CCAFS

  • SMLJAY@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2004
      Hi all,

      This week out at the Cape Canaveral AFS has been a good week of first of
      spring birds. Tuesday I heard our first Great-Crested Flycatchers, actually saw
      one the next day. Two of my co-workers, Ted Stevens and Dick Novier, had a
      Swallow-Tailed Kite along the coast on Tuesday as well. Today Dick and I had
      a single Barn Swallow flying low and north along the beach. The first sighting
      our group had of this species was March 18.

      Today's highlight was seeing RED KNOTS along the beach north of Pad 37 (for
      anyone who works/has access out there). There were probably close to 100 in
      small, scattered flocks. Mixed in with them were Sanderlings and
      Black-Bellied Plovers. None of the birds we saw had any indication of acquiring breeding
      plumage.

      I have also noted loose V-formation flocks of Double-crested Cormorants
      heading north and a number of pelicans seem to be heading that way as well.

      (FYI: there are currently 4 of us working with the FL Scrub-jay Project on
      CCAFS and we've started to keep a daily birdlist for what we observe besides the
      jays.)

      Good birding to all!

      Sarah Linney
      Cocoa, FL
      SMLJAY@...

      We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.
      When we see land as a community to which we belong,
      we may begin to use it with love and respect. -Aldo Leopold