Big day in the Lower/Middle Keys

  • birder01
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      While not officially a "Big Day" it was rather large in various ways,
      good birds, huge numbers, and good diversity. Birding from Key West
      to Curry Hammock SP (Grassy Key) I tallied 97 species with the
      following highlights.

      ANHINGA 1 doing it's best Peregrine impression over the Hawk Watch at
      Curry Hammock
      OSPREY 340 or so, I forget the exact number but it was a record for
      the Hawk Watch (I only was there for about 1/2 of them)
      SWALLOW-TAILED KITE 3 at the HW
      MISSISSIPPI KITE 1 HW
      PEREGRINE FALCON 522! record for Keys HW and possible highest ever
      anywhere. (again I was only present for about 1/2.
      LONG-BILLED CURLEW 1 flew by the HW
      SWAINSON'S WARBLER amoung the 16 species of warbler I had.

      I don't know which was more fun, the parade of songbirds at
      Indigenous Park in Key West or the incredible Peregrine show at the
      Hawk Watch, I hate these tough decisions....

      Brennan Mulrooney
      Cudjoe Key, FL
      frozentoze@...