Tropical Audubon Society Sod Farm Trip-August 30, 2003

  • Paul Bithorn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 9:14 PM
      The Tropical Audubon Society field trip on Saturday, August 30, 2003 to the
      sod farms in Palm Beach County offered several birders a mixture of
      lifebirds and yearbirds.

      We began birding at the Holeyland/Rotenberger W.M.A. on the Palm
      Beach/Broward County line. Ani's were absent but Northern
      Waterthrush,Prairie Warbler, American Redstart, White-eyed Vireo, Eastern
      Towhee (heard), Osprey and Red-shouldered Hawks were seen along the
      road.Heavy construction from the ongoing Comprehensive Everglades
      Restoration Plan (C.E.R.P.) project has generated a lot of traffic from
      heavy equipment, which has temporarily decreased the bird diversity.

      The sod farms and flooded fields east of US 27 in Palm Beach County south of
      South Bay were very productive. The highlight was at least 2 dozen Upland
      Sandpipers on a sod farm north of and across the street from the large tower
      along US 27. Our friends from Clearwater Audubon joined us for the
      spectacle. Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Black-necked Stilts, Solitary
      Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper,Pectoral Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover,
      Black-bellied Plovers in alternate plumage, Kildeer, as well as Mottled
      Ducks, Blue-winged Teal, Roseate Spoonbills, Wood Storks,Bank and Barn
      Swallows and a Northern Harrier were also in the area.

      A Least Bittern was seen at the small rockpit north of SR 827. A northern
      Yellow Warbler and a Yellow Rat Snake were also in the area.

      The Miami Canal stand of champion Red Cedars had several Barn Owls and
      Black-crowned Night Herons. One of the Barn Owls posed for excellent scope
      views.About a mile west of the cedars was a flooded field that Kevin
      Sarsfield and Juan Villamil led us to after discovering it last week while
      scouting the area.We added Gull-billed Tern, Least Tern, Black Tern,
      Short-billed Dowitcher, Western Sandpiper and Yellow-crowned Night Heron.

      One Snail Kite was seen from I-75 on the drive home in Area 2A just north of
      Weston on the drive home. Life is good............especially when birding
      our bird-rich agricultural areas.

      Paul Bithorn
      pblifeisgood@...
      pbithorn@...