RE: [Firebird-Java] Database URL and database alias

  • Paul Beach
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      >> > I just found aliases.conf, what is @prefix@?

      Hmm looks like there is an issue with the
      build process. @prefix@ should come from configure.in AFAIR
      and be /opt/firebird or whatever. However because We build
      Firebird on MacOSX as a Framework, then this is somewhat
      irrelevant.... perhaps I should look at how I should
      set up the database path for employee.fdb for aliases.conf in the
      build... Mind you its a minor issue....

      All this user has to do is replace @prefix@ with
      a valid path to employee.fdb which should be something like..

      /Library/Frameworks/Firebird.frameork/Resources/examples/empbuild/employee.fdb

      And he should be able to connect to the example database...
      Anyway now fixed in B2_0_Release, B2_1_Release and Head

      Paul

      Paul Beach
      Tel (France): +33 (0) 2 47 58 30 43
      Mob (France): +33 (0) 6 79 24 32 32
    • Mr. Richard Tomkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Thank you for the information.

        If I follow, does that mean that @prefix@ is a configure.in variable
        for the build? I do not have enough knowledge to have figured this
        out on my own and it didn't fit what I knew about C or BASIC.

        I did do the long path thing and it worked and then did the alias thing.

        I did not understand a lot of this so I was wondering.

        Regards, Richard

        On 3-Dec-08, at 9:43 AM, Paul Beach wrote:

        > Hmm looks like there is an issue with the
        > build process. @prefix@ should come from configure.in AFAIR
        > and be /opt/firebird or whatever. However because We build
        > Firebird on MacOSX as a Framework, then this is somewhat
        > irrelevant.... perhaps I should look at how I should
        > set up the database path for employee.fdb for aliases.conf in the
        > build... Mind you its a minor issue....
        >
        > All this user has to do is replace @prefix@ with
        > a valid path to employee.fdb which should be something like..
        >
        > /Library/Frameworks/Firebird.frameork/Resources/examples/empbuild/
        > employee.fdb
        >
        > And he should be able to connect to the example database...
        > Anyway now fixed in B2_0_Release, B2_1_Release and Head
        >
        > Paul
        >
        > Paul Beach
        > Tel (France): +33 (0) 2 47 58 30 43
        > Mob (France): +33 (0) 6 79 24 32 32

      • Paul Beach
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Richard,

          <<If I follow, does that mean that @prefix@ is a configure.in variable
          for the build? I do not have enough knowledge to have figured this
          out on my own and it didn't fit what I knew about C or BASIC.
          I did do the long path thing and it worked and then did the alias thing.
          I did not understand a lot of this so I was wondering.>>

          Within the configure.in file there is a prefix variable which by
          default is set to /usr/firebird, but can be changesd to pretty
          much what you want /opt/firebird for normal builds for example.
          This is used to set the rpath for libarary lookups plus a few other things,
          such as the @prefix@ in aliases.conf. The variable is picked up and used in the
          build process for Firebird.

          The MacOSX build does not use this prefix at all, because it creates
          what is called a "Framework" which is the normal mechanism for a
          piece of software to install and run on Mac. The long path you saw
          for the example database is also normal, as it is effectively a help
          resource within the framework...

          Regards
          Paul Beach
          Tel (France): +33 (0) 2 47 58 30 43