Metadata update and pool

  • Steffen Heil
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      Hi

      I have a web application which uses jaybird connection pooling. Now I need
      to support updating meta-data while the application is online. But Firebird
      doesn't allow certain metadata updates while there are open connections.
      Whenever any part of the application needs a connection, it calls a global
      static function. And connections are ALWAY open for a very short time only.

      So I want to do the following:
      - Lock other threads from getting new connctions. (Easy: synchronized block)
      - Wait until all open connections are closed. (Counting or buildin?)
      - Shutdown the pool. (possible?)
      - Use a single connection to do the metadata updates.
      - Restart the pool. (possible?)
      - Unlock waiting threads.

      My questions now:
      - Did I oversee any problems?
      - Is there a buildin method to see if connections are still open?
      - Can I shutdown / restart the pool? How?
      - Any other suggestions?

      And some not directly related questions:
      - Can meta-data updates be send in a block with a single commit?
      - Are they correctly rolled back if one failes?
      - Can I combine meta-data and real-data updates?

      Regards,
      Steffen