Cannot load jdbc.FBDriver

  • narengokal
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
      Hi,

      I have just started working with Firebird. I configured the DB and
      created tables etc.
      I installed Jaybird and ran a Java application. This worked fine.

      However, when I try and use HTTP servlets, I get an error, that it
      cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
      I cannot understand why, becuase if I load the driver without using
      HTTP and my webserver, it works fine, but when i try and use it for
      the web, it cannot load the driver. I call Class.forName
      ("org.firebirdsql....") in the init function of my .java program.

      When compiling, I have all my jar files in the classpath.

      Could someone please help me.

      Thanks alot
      Naren.
    • Catalin Florean
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
        Hi,

        What servlet container are you using?
        If you are using Tomcat, put your driver in the TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib
        directory.

        Catalin Florean.

        On 3/3/06, narengokal <narengokal@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just started working with Firebird. I configured the DB and
        > created tables etc.
        > I installed Jaybird and ran a Java application. This worked fine.
        >
        > However, when I try and use HTTP servlets, I get an error, that it
        > cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
        > I cannot understand why, becuase if I load the driver without using
        > HTTP and my webserver, it works fine, but when i try and use it for
        > the web, it cannot load the driver. I call Class.forName
        > ("org.firebirdsql....") in the init function of my .java program.
        >
        > When compiling, I have all my jar files in the classpath.
        >
        > Could someone please help me.
        >
        > Thanks alot
        > Naren.

      • Udas, Preeti
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
          Hi,
          I guess You may need to add the Driver jars to lib directory of your application under Web server.I am using Tomcat so I put it in
          D:\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\YOURAPPLICATIONFOLDER\WEB-INF\lib

          This is so that tomcat can find the drivers when it runs your JSPs.
          Hope that helps.

          ________________________________

          I have just started working with Firebird. I configured the DB and
          created tables etc.
          I installed Jaybird and ran a Java application. This worked fine.

          However, when I try and use HTTP servlets, I get an error, that it
          cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
          I cannot understand why, becuase if I load the driver without using
          HTTP and my webserver, it works fine, but when i try and use it for
          the web, it cannot load the driver. I call Class.forName
          ("org.firebirdsql....") in the init function of my .java program.

          When compiling, I have all my jar files in the classpath.

          Could someone please help me.

          Thanks alot
          Naren.

          Basic programming language <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Basic+programming+language&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=bnac3LCZpttb3c9FvbVU-A> Computer programming languages <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=1Czd2hKCO9_u4KVZQperFQ> Programming languages <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=TyHGCjod4YOKITrSq1xccQ>

        • narengokal
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
            Hi guys,

            Thanks for the reply,

            I am using Vq Server. Unfortunately it does not have any lib
            directory. When i compile and run my java files i include these jar
            files in the class path.

            What other options do i have, except for migrating to Tomcat

            --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Udas, Preeti"

            Java@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of narengokal
            > Sent: Freitag, 3. März 2006 10:33
            > To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [Firebird-Java] Cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
            >

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have just started working with Firebird. I configured the DB and
            > created tables etc.
            > I installed Jaybird and ran a Java application. This worked fine.
            >
            > However, when I try and use HTTP servlets, I get an error, that it
            > cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
            > I cannot understand why, becuase if I load the driver without
            using
            > HTTP and my webserver, it works fine, but when i try and use it
            for
            > the web, it cannot load the driver. I call Class.forName
            > ("org.firebirdsql....") in the init function of my .java program.
            >
            > When compiling, I have all my jar files in the classpath.
            >
            > Could someone please help me.
            >
            > Thanks alot
            > Naren.

            t=ms&k=Basic+programming+language&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Co
            mputer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+program
            ming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=bnac3LCZpttb3c9FvbVU-A> Computer
            programming languages <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w
            2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+pro
            gramming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=1Czd2hKCO9_u4KVZQperFQ>
            Programming languages <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Compute
            r+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programming+
            language&c=4&s=126&.sig=TyHGCjod4YOKITrSq1xccQ>
            > Java programming language <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Java+programming+language&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Com
            puter+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programm
            ing+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=PZAexF9LyXpKb3HDJSlB1g>

          • William L. Thomson Jr.
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
              On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 12:29 +0200, Catalin Florean wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > What servlet container are you using?
              > If you are using Tomcat, put your driver in the TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib
              > directory.

              Or TOMCAT_HOME/shared/lib

              Diff between shared and common is not much, mostly loading order
              differences and etc. But is the "recommended" place to put shared jars.
              Although I tend to just toss then in common/lib as previously suggested.

              --
              Sincerely,
              William L. Thomson Jr.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
                Hi,

                I am currently using VqServer and not tomcat.

                I have been using idb database with Vqserver, and now am trying to
                migrate to Firebird using Vqserver.

                I still have the same problem.

                Thanks
                Naren.

                --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Catalin Florean"
                <catalin.florean@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > What servlet container are you using?
                > If you are using Tomcat, put your driver in the
                TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib
                > directory.
                >
                > Catalin Florean.
                >
                > On 3/3/06, narengokal <narengokal@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > I have just started working with Firebird. I configured the DB
                and
                > > created tables etc.
                > > I installed Jaybird and ran a Java application. This worked fine.
                > >
                > > However, when I try and use HTTP servlets, I get an error, that
                it
                > > cannot load jdbc.FBDriver
                > > I cannot understand why, becuase if I load the driver without
                using
                > > HTTP and my webserver, it works fine, but when i try and use it
                for
                > > the web, it cannot load the driver. I call Class.forName
                > > ("org.firebirdsql....") in the init function of my .java program.
                > >
                > > When compiling, I have all my jar files in the classpath.
                > >
                > > Could someone please help me.
                > >
                > > Thanks alot
                > > Naren.

                t=ms&k=Basic+programming+language&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Co
                mputer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+program
                ming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=bnac3LCZpttb3c9FvbVU-A> Computer
                > > programming languages<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w
                2=Computer+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+pro
                gramming+language&c=4&s=126&.sig=1Czd2hKCO9_u4KVZQperFQ> Programming
                > > languages<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Programming+languages&w1=Basic+programming+language&w2=Compute
                r+programming+languages&w3=Programming+languages&w4=Java+programming+
                language&c=4&s=126&.sig=TyHGCjod4YOKITrSq1xccQ> Java

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 9, 2006
                  > I have been using idb database with Vqserver, and now am trying to
                  > migrate to Firebird using Vqserver.

                  What error exactly do you get? Is it ClassNotFoundException or something
                  different? What then?
                • narengokal
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 16, 2006
                    Hi,

                    I am going to try using tomcat .. It's crazy trying to configure it,
                    but i see that all of you use it and it works.

                    I am having problems with it, but am figuring it out slowly.

                    Thanks for your help.

                    --- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Roman Rokytskyy"