Can't use JDBC with Firebird RC2

  • Ken Freeman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      Env: Windows 2K, Firebird RC2, Interclient 2.01. I had removed all traces (I think) of Interbase before installing Firebird. When I try to use JDBC, I get the following error:

      interbase.interclient.CommunicationException: [interclient] Communication error: A socket exception occurred while trying to establish a socket connection to server localhost.
      The message of the SocketException is "Connection refused: connect".
      See API reference for exception interbase.interclient.CommunicationException
       at interbase.interclient.JDBCNet.establishSocketStreams(JDBCNet.java:92)
       at interbase.interclient.JDBCNet.<init>(JDBCNet.java:74)
       at interbase.interclient.Connection.connect(Connection.java:317)
       at interbase.interclient.Connection.<init>(Connection.java:285)
       at interbase.interclient.DataSource.getConnection(DataSource.java:532)
      I'm pretty sure that the problem is because nothing is listening to port 3060. I'm running a utility to check for port listeners, and it reports the same exception for localhost/3060. It does find a listener on port 3050, but JDBC can't talk to that.

      Here's the lines I added to my SERVICES file:

      gds_db   3050/tcp             # do I need this?
      interserver      3060/tcp                   # InterBase InterServer
      I tried stopping and restarting the Interbase Server service, and rebooting.

      One more thing: I noticed that the service runs ibserver.exe. There are no interserver.exe or gds_db.exe processes.

      Thanks,
      Ken Freeman
      Senior Architect
      AppIQ, Inc.
      6 New England Executive Park, 4th Floor
      Burlington, MA 01803
      781-425-6260 x114

    • jwcanada
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        You might want to try the firebird JDBC type 4 driver. I have been
        using it for a while, it seems working fine.

        jw
      • Ken Freeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          I think I am; isn't that the same as interclient.jar?

          I actually think the real problem is my server not listening on port 3060,
          not the JDBC driver itself.

          Ken

          > You might want to try the firebird JDBC type 4 driver. I have been
          > using it for a while, it seems working fine.
          >
          > jw

        • David Jencks
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            On 2002.01.02 19:59:41 -0500 Ken Freeman wrote:
            > I think I am; isn't that the same as interclient.jar?

            No, it's not. Right now you have to compile it yourself from the
            client-java module in firebird cvs. Maybe it's time to "release" an alpha
            to encourage people to report problems.

            david jencks

            > I actually think the real problem is my server not listening on port
            > 3060,
            > not the JDBC driver itself.
            >
            > Ken

          • Ken Freeman
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2002
              I'll 4th the idea of releasing the Alpha JDBC driver.

              My problem with Interclient (fixed now!) is that I hadn't run isconfig to
              start the Interserver. The docs were confusing to me.

              Ken