Unable to complete network request

  • schroed1974
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
      I am using Firebird 1.5 with Jaybird.
      It works fine for a hundred of insert of records and then I get the
      following error:

      org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBSQLException: Resource Exception. Unable to
      complete network request to host "192.168.0.25".
      Reason: Unable to complete network request to host "192.168.0.25".
      at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDataSource.getConnection(FBDataSource.java:106)
      at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver.connect(FBDriver.java:218)
      at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
      at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
      at com.went.gac.db.Manager.getConnection(Manager.java:118)
      at com.went.gac.db.ComuniManager.getConnection(ComuniManager.java:1111)
      at com.went.gac.db.ComuniManager.save(ComuniManager.java:313)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.fillComuni(Population.java:369)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.fillData(Population.java:105)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.main(Population.java:100)
      at org.firebirdsql.gds.GDSException: Unable to complete network
      request to host "192.168.0.25".
      at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.connect(GDS_Impl.java:1660)
      at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.isc_attach_database(GDS_Impl.java:282)
      at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.isc_attach_database(GDS_Impl.java:258)
      at
      org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.createDbHandle(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:540)
      at
      org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnection.<init>(FBManagedConnection.java:88)
      at
      org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.createManagedConnection(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:366)
      at
      org.firebirdsql.jca.FBStandAloneConnectionManager.allocateConnection(FBStandAloneConnectionManager.java:60)
      at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDataSource.getConnection(FBDataSource.java:103)
      at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver.connect(FBDriver.java:218)
      at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
      at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Unknown Source)
      at com.went.gac.db.Manager.getConnection(Manager.java:118)
      at com.went.gac.db.ComuniManager.getConnection(ComuniManager.java:1111)
      at com.went.gac.db.ComuniManager.save(ComuniManager.java:313)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.fillComuni(Population.java:369)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.fillData(Population.java:105)
      at com.went.dbpop.test.Population.main(Population.java:100)

      Could you please let me know how to solve this problem?
      Thanks a lot
      Angelo
    • angelo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
[...]

        Sponsor:
        Crea le tue etichette personalizzate on-line e le riceverai direttamente a casa tua!
        * Ben cinque righe a tua disposizione
        Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2410&d=1-6
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
          > It works fine for a hundred of insert of records and then I get the
          > following error:
          >
          > org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBSQLException: Resource Exception. Unable to
          > complete network request to host "192.168.0.25".
          > Reason: Unable to complete network request to host "192.168.0.25".

          Most likely your server crashes. Can you check log file of the
          database server itself? If that's the reason, can you prepare a
          reproducable test case, so that the fix hopefully comes into Firebird
          1.5.1.

          Roman
        • K Kumakura
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
            Hello,

            Could anyone tell what is wrong with the following error:

            2005-09-26 09:31:42,159 INFO [STDOUT] SELECT ALL t0.RoleName FROM Roles t0 WHERE (1=1) AND ((t0.Principal_Id=?))
            2005-09-26 09:31:42,264 INFO [itj.ejb.principal.PrincipalCtrlBean] doLogin *** dataSource:yuto_russelsya-ds User:admin MAC Addr:... ***
            2005-09-26 09:31:42,264 DEBUG [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.IdleRemover] internalRegisterPool: registering pool with interval 120000 old interval: 60000
            2005-09-26 09:31:42,429 WARN [org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.JBossManagedConnectionPool] Unable to fill pool
            org.firebirdsql.jca.FBResourceException: Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
            Reason: Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
            at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnection.<init>(FBManagedConnection.java:95)
            at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.createManagedConnection(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:388)
            at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.InternalManagedConnectionPool.createConnectionEventListener(InternalManagedConnectionPool.java:508)
            at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.InternalManagedConnectionPool.fillToMin(InternalManagedConnectionPool.java:455)
            at org.jboss.resource.connectionmanager.PoolFiller.run(PoolFiller.java:70)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
            Caused by: org.firebirdsql.gds.GDSException: Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
            at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.connect(GDS_Impl.java:1720)
            at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.isc_attach_database(GDS_Impl.java:289)
            at org.firebirdsql.jgds.GDS_Impl.isc_attach_database(GDS_Impl.java:265)
            at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnectionFactory.createDbHandle(FBManagedConnectionFactory.java:562)
            at org.firebirdsql.jca.FBManagedConnection.<init>(FBManagedConnection.java:90)
            ... 5 more
            at
[...]

            We are using
            (1) Firebird SS 1.5.2(FirebirdSS-1.5.2.4731-nptl.i686.rpm)
            (2) FirebirdSQL 1.5.5(JDK 1.4)
            (3) JBoss 4.0.1sp1
            (4) RedHat 9

            Thanks,

            K Kumakura
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 26, 2005
              > Could anyone tell what is wrong with the following error:

              It cannot connect to the Firebird server running on the localhost. There are
              several possible issues:

              a) your Firebird server is not acepting network connections (for example it
              is not started);
              b) your Linux blocks socket connections (firewall);
              c) your Linux does not know what "localhost" is (sometimes you have to add a
              line into /etc/hosts);
              d) your java.policy does not allow JayBird to open socket connections.

              I would start with first, as the most likely situation. Please note that you
              can check the Firebird installation with isql only if you use

              CONNECT 'localhost:/opt/firebird/examples/employee.fdb' USER 'SYSDBA'
              password 'masterkey';

              but not

              CONNECT '/opt/firebird/examples/employee.fdb' USER 'SYSDBA' password
              'masterkey';

              In the latter case isql will access the database file directly, it won't
              tell you whether server is running or not.

              Or just use

              telnet localhost 3050

              You will see whether it accepts connections or not.

              Roman
            • K. Kumakura
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                > > Could anyone tell what is wrong with the following error:
                >
                > It cannot connect to the Firebird server running on the localhost. There are
                > several possible issues:
                >
                > a) your Firebird server is not acepting network connections (for example it
                > is not started);
                > b) your Linux blocks socket connections (firewall);
                > c) your Linux does not know what "localhost" is (sometimes you have to add a
                > line into /etc/hosts);
                > d) your java.policy does not allow JayBird to open socket connections.

                We have multiple instances of JBoss running on one Linux box.
                Some JBoss instance occasionally resulted in the error. However,
                other instances of JBoss seem running without error. So, I don't
                think any of the items above is a cause of the error.

                We can recover from the error by shutting down and restarting
                the JBoss instance in error(no need to shutdown/restart Firebird SS).
                This might suggest that something in JBoss connection management
                is wrong.

                We will appreciate any help/suggestions.

                Thanks,

                K Kumakura
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                  > We have multiple instances of JBoss running on one Linux box.
                  > Some JBoss instance occasionally resulted in the error. However,
                  > other instances of JBoss seem running without error. So, I don't
                  > think any of the items above is a cause of the error.

                  Please check your network settings. Can it be that you limited the number of
                  sockets that can be opened to the server?

                  > We can recover from the error by shutting down and restarting
                  > the JBoss instance in error(no need to shutdown/restart Firebird SS).
                  > This might suggest that something in JBoss connection management
                  > is wrong.
                  >
                  > We will appreciate any help/suggestions.

                  The error happens when JayBird tries to open new connection (seee the
                  GDS_Impl.connect method). So, that means either:

                  a) JBoss pool tries to increase the number of active connections in pool;

                  b) it tries to recover from the connection failure between transactions and
                  tries to reopen the connection.

                  Sorry, but it is either Java issue or your network configuration issue (at
                  least that's what I think it is). Or maybe Firebird SS does not want to
                  accept the connection, but I doubt that.

                  Roman
                • K. Kumakura
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                    > Please check your network settings. Can it be that you limited the number of
                    > sockets that can be opened to the server?

                    The max number of fd's on the system:
                    $ cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
                    $ 209536

                    The max number of fd's per process:
                    $ ulimit -n
                    $ 1024

                    One of our JBoss applications has 25 databases. Assuming that
                    5 connections for each database were establshed, the number of
                    fd's required is 5 * 25 = 125, which is much less than 1024.

                    Though I don't know how many fd's Firebird SS requires per database,
                    I guess that 1024 is large enough for this JBoss application.

                    Regards,

                    K Kumakura
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                      > Though I don't know how many fd's Firebird SS requires per database,
                      > I guess that 1024 is large enough for this JBoss application.

                      Yup...

                      How easy can this issue be reproduced? If you have to wait not so long,
                      please add loggin into the driver (though expect log to grow really fast),
                      it will tell where exactly it crashes.

                      I have no other ideas to this topic. So far I have seen this error message
                      when name resolution was not configured correctly. But that was permanent
                      error.

                      Sorry.

                      Roman
                    • K. Kumakura
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
                        > How easy can this issue be reproduced? If you have to wait not so long,
                        > please add loggin into the driver (though expect log to grow really fast),
                        > it will tell where exactly it crashes.

                        The error cannot easily be reproduceced since it occurs quite
                        rarely once a few weeks.

                        > I have no other ideas to this topic. So far I have seen this error message
                        > when name resolution was not configured correctly. But that was permanent
                        > error.

                        I will try to reconfigure JBoss applications so that they need
                        less number of connections to their DB's and see what will happen.

                        Thanks a lot, Roman.

                        Regards,

                        K Kumakura